What's new

Recommendations on multi cd/mp3 player? (1 Viewer)

Dermot

Grip
We just built a new house and I purchased a Russound 6.4 for whole house audio. Needless to say - playing cd's in my single DVD player isn't cutting it (running back and forth to much).
Can you guys recommend a good multi disk cd player (that hopefully plays mp3/wma)for my stack?
I don't want to spend a tonne of money either as I am already hurting from the house and the 57" Hitachi on it's way ;) so the Fireball is out.
Most of my stuff is currently Sony.
Thx

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
For a Pacific Microsonics chip that does HDCD deconding, two of your choices are Denon 380 (low end chip/retail $300.00 range) or Rotel RCC-1055 (high end chip/retail $700.00). Pacific Microsonics has a great website with lots of information. You can even look up the chip by number and read the specs.

Mark

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mark,
Am I missing something? Dermot said nothing about wanting HDCD. :confused:
Dermot,
Take a look at the Sony CDP-CX455 400-disc megachanger. It plays MP3-encoded CDs. I think the 'CX455 would serve you very well. It sells for around $300 USD in the States. For more information, go to www.crutchfield.com . Best of luck in your new home.

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

According to the techs I've talked to, the HDCD chip has an advanced digital filter which is in use during regular cd playback. This is supposed to improve the sound of even regular cds. Because the chips are designed for 20 bit(HDCD), playing 16 bit(standard cd) is even easier for it. Its similar to the concept of sampling for dvd's. The higher the oversampling and deeper the depth, the better performance you get overall. A car that is designed to go 125 on a regular basis will in general outperform a car designed to go 100, if both cars are going 100.

Mark

Dermot

Grip
Well Keith you are quite correct - I don't even know what HDCD is - nevermind what it has to do with the post but thanks anyway Mark:b
I will look at the 400 disk changer by Sony as well.
Is it a pain to index all the CD's? MP3 playback is a great bonus.
Any other CD rippers and players such as the ReQuest Multimedia one I saw? Anyone have experience with these?
TIA

Mark LP

Stunt Coordinator
Dermot,

all audio on a cd is in a digital format and must be converted to an analog signal before it can be listened to. this is done by a DAC(digital to analog converter). The higher the quality of the dac, the better the sound will be reproduced. If you were to hook up your speakers to different cd players and played the same cd, the sound will be different from each one. Your ear will be the judge of what sound you like generated by your cd player on your particular system

I brought up HDCD because HDCD is software used in a dac to optimize sound reproduction. The Burr-Brown dacs used in most denons, utilize the hdcd system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks