What's new

recommendations on $300 receiver, please? (1 Viewer)

Douglas^H

Auditioning
Hello.

I currently own an Aiwa 200 watt Dolby Pro Logic receiver that is about 6 years old, and I have decided to upgrade to a Digital receiver with more power. I have put a price cap of $300 on what I'm looking for, as I'm just starting out in the world after school and don't have a lot of money to spend.
Based on my research, I'm strongly considering the Pioneer VSX-D811S receiver since it has all of the surround technologies, 600 watts, and it looks to be a great deal at $302 shipped (from 6ave.com which has very high user ratings). Second place in my opinion would be the Panasonic SA-HE100, which would be about $50 cheaper, but with less features. What recommendations do you have for me for the best receiver for $300 or less?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, if you feel like reading further, could I get opinions on surround speaker purchase, too?

I started off with a KLH home theatre speaker package which...well, let's just say I upgraded soon after. So, right now I'm using Technics floor speakers with 12" woofers and 200watt power handling, a Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel Plus speaker (the really long one with 5 drivers) and my old KLH surrounds. So much for a matched set... Anyway, I plan on keeping my Technics speakers and Cambridge center, but the KLH's only handle 60 watts, so I'll probably need to upgrade those. Plus, if I go with a 6.1 channel receiver, I'll be wanting 1 or 2 more speakers at some point, too (I think I'll start by just bridging both of my KLH's to 1 channel for rear surround.....if that can be done safely). What speakers would you recommend for good, cheap surround sound? Would it be best to go with Cambridge, since my center is Cambridge, or would other speakers be better? I don't want to pay a lot because I figure surround speakers aren't that important anyway. Is that true, or am I mistaken?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!!

Douglas^H

Auditioning
Come on, not a single response??? NOBODY has an opinion about a good $300 or less receiver? And no opinions on where to buy online? No comments on speakers? Did I say something wrong?

Dave Musg

Auditioning
I'm in the same boat you are... trying to decide which receiver to get at ~ $300...
From reading this board, it looks like lots of folks like the Pioneer VSX-D811S. I think it is mentioned here more often than any other reciever in it's price range, and is the reciever I'm leaning towards.
I've got to buy something pretty quick, before the wife changes her mind... if anybody else has opinions that might help Doug and me please pipe up! :)
Dave

Douglas^H

Auditioning
Hey, I know what you mean about buying quickly. the composite audio outputs went out on my DVD player and my current receiver only has composite inputs. Rather than buying a new DVD player, I'm hoping that the optical sound output works and going for the new receiver. I don't want to buy a new dvd player until the recorders come down in price. Have you found a good online store to purchase at? The best price I've seen is $302 at http://www.6ave.com , but it's on pre-order, and says it will be shipped in 14 days. Good luck with your purchase!

Rick J

Stunt Coordinator
douglas

just a few thoughts...

although i don't have my system completely calibrated yet (i've posted my concern elsewhere here and am working on it), i have the denon 1803(i got mine for approx 350.00) with klipsch quintets/sc-1 center/12"sub and am very happy with the results. although the quintets are not great for music or larger rooms (mine's approx. 13'x13'), that's not what i got them for. for movie experiences, they're clear and produce plenty of great sound.

things to remember/consider:

1) the size of your room
2) budget (obviously)
3) uses (movies, music, both?)
4) other's thoughts/reviews (ie: audioreview.com ecoustics.com)
5) check online prices (ie: techbargains.com dealtime.com)

i think you'll enjoy whatever you get. there's nothing quite like watching movies in the comfort of your own home with surround sound...good luck! rick

Douglas^H

Auditioning
Rick,
Hey, thanks for the input. I have no idea what the room size will be as I will be moving into an apartment when I find a better job and moving into a house hopefully not too many years down the road when I have a down payment. I will definitely check out the review sites and online prices that you mentioned, though. I will probably use it mostly for TV/movies/video games as opposed to music....I have two hours of commuting time a day when I listen to music. I'm on a very strict budget....beyond the $300 for receiver, I'm looking for some surrounds for under $100, and then I figure I can wait on a sub until I get a house (so as not to bother the neighbors) since I already have Technics floor speakers with 12" woofers that provide adequate bass.

Dave, with shipping, the etronics price comes to $325 for me.... that's a difference of $25, so I think for me at least it is worth the wait. If you get yours soon, let me know what you think of it!

Fletch

Agent
I bought a Yamaha vx 520 receiver about a year ago for 350.00 and it was well worth it.It powers a Klipsch hogepodge of speakers,6 in all.The theatre sound fields are decent for the price.All together including DVD and Hitachi 57 ubx widescreen my set-up costs less than 3000.00 and performs at twice the price because of my yammy.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
I'd check out the HK AVR 125 - I don't know if it will beat the Pioneer 811, but I've heard a lot of good things about their receivers.

HK SEEMS to be better for music, though.

Somewhat unrelated question: Pioneer and Yamaha receivers are made by the same company, right?

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I have seen many good reviews on the pioneer 811, and i just purchased a vsx45tx but i am still a fan of denon
products and 50topsellers has the 1803 for $335...just a thought 73

Steve Adams

Second Unit
douglas,

were the klh's really that bad? im looking at the 9900 series for my bedroom. they really look good for the price.

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think power handling is that crucial, so instead of new surrounds, a nice little budget subwoofer for $100 might make more of an improvement for you, even with your 12" woofers.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I have the VSX-D811S hooked up to JBL N38 Mains. I use the NSP1 package that has 4xN24's and 1xN-Center for the center channel, surround and surround back. Although just the NSP1 pagkage and a $100 sub will would be cheaper at the expense of the rear channel. It sounds great to me and is probiably the best bang for your buck out there.

DustinF

Agent
Why not try the Marantz 4200 from hifi.com for $300 shipped. They are an authorized reseller and have a moneyback guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks