What's new

Recommendations for TV in $3k to $4k range?? (1 Viewer)

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering the Toshiba 57HX81.... why? I don't know enough technical knowledge to give you a good answer. The size is right, the price is in the range I am looking for, I want that 16:9 ratio, and that HD capability. Can someone give me some ideas? Is this a good TV for the money? Would you suggest others?

Thanks for the help........... Donald

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Donald,

I am shopping as well, and once considered your set, and also the Panny 53WX42 as a great value (less than $2000 street).

If you can wait a month or so, Sony is planning release of the 57WS500 which has DVI.

I decided to wait for it.

Hope this helps

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I should add that the model you mention can be had for $2400-2700. If you are spending $3000 - 4000 you can do better. That's more than I care to spend so I don't have any suggestions. Not sure if I will have to pay up for the Sony set that's coming. Anyone know the list prices for the Sony 57WS500 or the 51WS500? With my budget I will likely go with the 51.

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Louis,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking up DVI. I think I have an idea but wanted to confirm. Can you tell me what that is? and also where bcan I get the Toshiba for the price you mentioned?

Thanks

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Whatever your budget, set aside $500 - $600 of it for an ISF calibration. It'll just about double the quality of the picture.

-Mike...

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Donald,
A friend of mine just picked up that same Toshiba and it is very good.
Another idea: one of the Loewe TVs from Europe. They are amazing direct view TVs.
Yet another idea: Sony 36XBR direct view set, some money for ISF calibration, and spend the rest on the new generation DVD players.
:)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I was just quoted 4k for the Mistubishi WS-55909 (List price 5999).

However, with the new Sony's and the Mits WS-55711 coming out soon, who knows what to do ? Let's hope this thread is enlightening !

Donald Lagasse

Stunt Coordinator
Ah yes! Calibration. I will strongly recommend that. Sounds like it mightbe worth waiting until new models come out. The Sony 36XBR would be too small and that is a 4:3 set anyway isn't it? I need a pretty large >55" 16:9 set in the $3k to $4K range. I'll have to look into the Loewes. Anybody else have any specific sets in mind?

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
Well, you could buy the Toshiba now and enjoy it...or you could wait a few months for the new models and see what everybody has to say about them. The opinions and comments will run rampant for a few months and a new favorite may appear, or not...you may just have to pick one with the fewer evils. I have a Toshiba 57h81 and am happy with it, at least for now...when I start reading reviews of the new models, then I will start wondering again.

You are in Houston. Don't you have HDTV available through Time Warner Cable? That would make it fairly simple.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks