What's new

recommendations for bookshelf speakers... (1 Viewer)

KennethF

Stunt Coordinator
i've decided to get my father-in-law a set of good musical bookshelf speakers for christmas. my budget is around $600 for the pair. they need good bass extension, as i wont be able to squeeze a subwoofer past my mother-in-law.

musical reproduction is the most important criteria, as he is a high school band director and enjoys his jazz music.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I would recommend Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors. They list for 1K a pair but can be had for much less new through an aggressive dealer. These are serious speakers in the "bookshelf" category.
They are very , very musical, and their imaging and soundstage is enormous. The bass will turn your head, no kidding.
I use them for my surrounds currently but broke them in as mains for awhile..... I removed my Paradigm Ref 40's and replaced them with the VR-1's.
You guessed it... the VR-1's were all over the 40's, to my ears.
If your in-law likes music, he will thank you in his will, if not before :*o
email me if you need a dealer contact, or see a local VSA dealer. I did not have a local dealer so I had them drop-shipped from Von Schweikert through the dealer.
www.vonschweikert.com
my.02

BOK

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I have heard the Von Schweikert VR-1 and I think it is an excellent suggestion, but getting a pair at $600 might be tough.

I would look at some offerings from Monitor Audio. I have hear the Bronze B2 and at $399/pr they offered some very dynamic sound and good bass for the size.

Also the speaker that I use, the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340.

chris.y

Auditioning
When testing out speakers, I tried a pair of MB Quart QLS 530's. Although I ended up buying them for my current system for surrounds (and the 1030's for my front speakers), they sounded awesome as the two primary stereo speakers.

They sound great, look great and have decent base extension. I think I bought the pair for around $500.

I bought mine at Yawa Online (yawaonline.com) -- they're located in the LA area and do a great job (call for prices).

KennethF

Stunt Coordinator
thank you for the suggestions, guys.

if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to add.

noahG

Agent
I love my NHT SB-3's which were had for about $540 for the pair from a local dealer. When I bought them, I compared against some B&W's (can't remember the models) and against some other's I can't remember.

The last set of speakers before those (granted this was thirteen years ago) where a great pair of Spica's but they're no longer in business. Back then it was between the spicas and a pair of Mirage speakers, but I haven't heard a recent pair.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
I agree with noahG. The SB3's are capable of excellent bass extension, considered a outstanding product, and are beautiful gloss black. They can go near a wall because they have no rear port.

Noah, what are you driving them with?

John S

Senior HTF Member
JBL s38II's at half the price... They are at least worth a look for you....

cabreau

Second Unit
I heard some Paradigm Monitor 7's that sounded really nice. The Monitor 5's are very similar. Check em out at least, Paradigms are known for giving "bang for the buck".

noahG

Agent
don't want to hijack the thread but in answer to Doug, I'm using a Rotel RSX 965 receiver. I used to have a refurbed NAD T-760 but it kept conking out on me.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I tried a pair of MB Quart QLS 530's. Although I ended up buying them for my current system for surrounds (and the 1030's for my front speakers), they sounded awesome as the two primary stereo speakers.
Wow, I had a very similar experience (and from the same wonderful retailer www.yawaonline.com ).

Luckily for me, Yawa is local, and I stop by frequently just to say hi. They started carrying the MB Quarts last year and they were the first brand that Yawa has carried in the last 5 years that made me want to upgrade from my Energy C6s. It was the 530s that sold me, as the little bookshelves were making sounds I thought were quite pleasing to the ear, and was surprised that they were coming out of a bookshelf. Being a floorstanding guy myself, I auditioned the 1030s and found the same sweet sound, just more bass and a bit more power (but then again they were driven by a more powerful amp). At the prices Yawa is selling them for, I had to buy and compare at home. I always have a 30 day return since I'm local (I believe they do this for net too) so I had nothing to lose.

Lining them up vs. my Energys surprised me, because I didn't expect to favor the MB Quart sound by much. Read this thread to learn about my shootout which involved friends coming over to listen and compare the two sets in a single-blind (very non-scientific) test.

Again, contact Yawa for their prices. Because they are authorized dealers, they can't advertise below MAP but they scored a great deal on the QLS series from the manufacturer and are selling them for quite a bit less than the posted price. Call or email to get the real prices. MB Quart page at Yawa Online.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
s38's are awesome, i love them.. but i'd have to go with NHT SB-3 for the price. they're beautiful speakers and the sound they produce is no less.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I like the SB3 too, but at it's price point (MSRP) I'd opt for their Evolution M6 or M5. Same tweeters as the SBs in a 3 way MTM style setup (4 drivers, extra mid). You give up a little bass extension, but gain some in room SPL, and they sound as clean and look just as good.

Check around, there have been some good deals on NHT recently.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Definitive Technology's Power Monitors. Great Bass! And I have the Boston Acoustics CR-85s, very pleased with the bass response.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
ACI has a pair of Emeralds in their specials for $650 delivered. nOrh offers the classic 6.1, wood or synthetic marble 5.1, and Prism 5.2 in your price range. Magnepan has the MMG and Axiom offers the M22ti. Offerings from B&W and Dynaudio should be considered as well. Used speakers are another excellent possibility.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
I would look into the KRK ST6 from KRK audio. Guitar Center has them on sale right now for $99 each. Studio monitors are all about sound an no show. Although they look really nice to me, they have outstanding build quality, 7/8" mdf, 21lbs., silk dome tweeter so no brightness here. They are amazing and have a very flat response 60-20kz +- 2db. Made for nearfield listening of course, I'm in the process of getting a pair myself, after I heard them yesterday. good thing is that its only $200 for the pair, and the extra money can go on amplification or a better receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The GR A/V-1s are +/-1.2dB from 55-20k...but they cost more :D I've heard of the KRKs before, and they actually look like a decent deal at that price. Haven't heard them though. Mackie makes some very nice studio monitors as well - amazing clarity, especially the powered ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks