recommendations for bookshelf speakers...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KennethF, Dec 3, 2003.

1. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

i've decided to get my father-in-law a set of good musical bookshelf speakers for christmas. my budget is around $600 for the pair. they need good bass extension, as i wont be able to squeeze a subwoofer past my mother-in-law.

musical reproduction is the most important criteria, as he is a high school band director and enjoys his jazz music.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

2. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I would recommend Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors. They list for 1K a pair but can be had for much less new through an aggressive dealer. These are serious speakers in the "bookshelf" category.
    They are very , very musical, and their imaging and soundstage is enormous. The bass will turn your head, no kidding.
    I use them for my surrounds currently but broke them in as mains for awhile..... I removed my Paradigm Ref 40's and replaced them with the VR-1's.
    You guessed it... the VR-1's were all over the 40's, to my ears.
    If your in-law likes music, he will thank you in his will, if not before :*o
    email me if you need a dealer contact, or see a local VSA dealer. I did not have a local dealer so I had them drop-shipped from Von Schweikert through the dealer.
    www.vonschweikert.com
    my.02

BOK

3. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have heard the Von Schweikert VR-1 and I think it is an excellent suggestion, but getting a pair at $600 might be tough.

I would look at some offerings from Monitor Audio. I have hear the Bronze B2 and at $399/pr they offered some very dynamic sound and good bass for the size.

Also the speaker that I use, the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340.

4. chris.y

chris.y Auditioning

When testing out speakers, I tried a pair of MB Quart QLS 530's. Although I ended up buying them for my current system for surrounds (and the 1030's for my front speakers), they sounded awesome as the two primary stereo speakers.

They sound great, look great and have decent base extension. I think I bought the pair for around $500.

I bought mine at Yawa Online (yawaonline.com) -- they're located in the LA area and do a great job (call for prices).

5. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

thank you for the suggestions, guys.

if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to add.

6. noahG

noahG Agent

I love my NHT SB-3's which were had for about $540 for the pair from a local dealer. When I bought them, I compared against some B&W's (can't remember the models) and against some other's I can't remember.

The last set of speakers before those (granted this was thirteen years ago) where a great pair of Spica's but they're no longer in business. Back then it was between the spicas and a pair of Mirage speakers, but I haven't heard a recent pair.

7. JohnPop

JohnPop Stunt Coordinator

8. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

I agree with noahG. The SB3's are capable of excellent bass extension, considered a outstanding product, and are beautiful gloss black. They can go near a wall because they have no rear port.

Noah, what are you driving them with?

9. John S

John S Producer

JBL s38II's at half the price... They are at least worth a look for you....

10. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I heard some Paradigm Monitor 7's that sounded really nice. The Monitor 5's are very similar. Check em out at least, Paradigms are known for giving "bang for the buck".

11. noahG

noahG Agent

don't want to hijack the thread but in answer to Doug, I'm using a Rotel RSX 965 receiver. I used to have a refurbed NAD T-760 but it kept conking out on me.

12. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

13. Edwin_C

Edwin_C Stunt Coordinator

s38's are awesome, i love them.. but i'd have to go with NHT SB-3 for the price. they're beautiful speakers and the sound they produce is no less.

14. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Make sure you know what his receiver is before getting NHT SB-3 they need a good amout of power.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I like the SB3 too, but at it's price point (MSRP) I'd opt for their Evolution M6 or M5. Same tweeters as the SBs in a 3 way MTM style setup (4 drivers, extra mid). You give up a little bass extension, but gain some in room SPL, and they sound as clean and look just as good.

Check around, there have been some good deals on NHT recently.

16. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Definitive Technology's Power Monitors. Great Bass! And I have the Boston Acoustics CR-85s, very pleased with the bass response.

17. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

ACI has a pair of Emeralds in their specials for $650 delivered. nOrh offers the classic 6.1, wood or synthetic marble 5.1, and Prism 5.2 in your price range. Magnepan has the MMG and Axiom offers the M22ti. Offerings from B&W and Dynaudio should be considered as well. Used speakers are another excellent possibility.

18. John Garcia

John
    GR Research has the A/V-1 kit in your price range as well, though fully assembled will be a bit more. I have A/V-2s. Very nice for the $$.

19. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

I would look into the KRK ST6 from KRK audio. Guitar Center has them on sale right now for $99 each. Studio monitors are all about sound an no show. Although they look really nice to me, they have outstanding build quality, 7/8" mdf, 21lbs., silk dome tweeter so no brightness here. They are amazing and have a very flat response 60-20kz +- 2db. Made for nearfield listening of course, I'm in the process of getting a pair myself, after I heard them yesterday. good thing is that its only $200 for the pair, and the extra money can go on amplification or a better receiver.

20. John Garcia

John
    The GR A/V-1s are +/-1.2dB from 55-20k...but they cost more [​IMG] I've heard of the KRKs before, and they actually look like a decent deal at that price. Haven't heard them though. Mackie makes some very nice studio monitors as well - amazing clarity, especially the powered ones.