What's new

Recommendations - Best Cheap Non-Progressive Scan DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy all.

I have a Sony DVP-S360 DVD player that I've had for a while and it works just fine. I'm looking to get another DVD players for a TV in a different room. This is NOT the room with the home theater system in it, just for normal TV watching.

I don't want to spend much money. However, If I can get something better than my Sony, I can put the new DVD player in the Theater room and the old one on the "other" TV.

Only requirements are Component Video and Optical Audio (in case it goes in the Theater room). Neither TV supports Progressive Scan and I have no plans in getting one that does so that would be a useless additional expense.

I'd be happy for any GENERAL recommendations on Brands to stay away from or to move towards. Or any specific models that meet what I'm looking for. I just basically don't want some piece of crap that's going to break or look like crap.

Thanks.

EDIT: If a DVD player has Progressive Scan that's fine, I jsut can't make use of it so that feature makes no difference in my DVD player selection. So if there's a great one that's inexpensice that does have PS that's fine. It just doesn't win any points for having it.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
I think you'll limit yourself by not looking at progressive scan players, not because of the PS feature itself, but because it seems most players coming out now are PS. It's almost impossible to get away from, and the ones that aren't PS seem to be old models w/ new cases and #'s. I don't own a TV that can take advantage of PS, but I'm on my 2nd PS player just because they've all had the features/quality I wanted in a player.

If you're into DVD Audio check out the Toshiba SD4800, if you're not check out the Toshiba SD3900. Both very inexpensive, and the 3900 has some great 'undocumented' features. Both are very reasonably priced.

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
I won't rule out a DVD players just because it has Progressive Scan. But if there's two that are the same except for that and the one without it is cheaper, then I'd take the cheaper one. If the PS doesn't seem to cause a price difference, then that's fine, just it isn't a requirement.

chun howe

Stunt Coordinator
pioneer dv250 meets your three requirements
1. component out
2. coaxial and digital out
3. no progressive scan

it's only $78 (i believe) at walmart.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks