What's new

Recommendation on CD catalogue software (1 Viewer)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jeff: The demise of SACD is over-stated. Check out the release news at SA-CD.net or HighFidelityReview.com. There are a lot of titles still being released. Just because Sony isn't releasing many titles anymore doesn't mean the format is totally moribund.

Doug: See my post #18 re only a few of my DVD-As playing in my R/RW ROM drive.

What I'm really interested in is, if you manually enter a DVD-A or SACD UPC, does the app reliably and accurately add it to your collection database?

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
One thing I do find a little frustrating/tedious about Collectorz is the varied database choices from which to select to ask the software to pull title information. Of course the more you select, the more purportedly accurate information you're going to be able to choose from, but it also adds significantly to the amount of time it takes to add each CD to your collection listing: additional time for the information to download, then additional time to edit/delete inaccurate/contradictory information. Spending any more than 2 minutes or so per CD adds up to a significant time commitment just to get a collection of my size (app. 700 CDs) logged.

For a largely domestic collection of fairly mainstream CDs, I'm wondering if anyone who has entered a large collection has recommendations of which one to two (max) databases to always select from the available choices for the best, most complete information (for instance, the U.S. Amazon site plus CDDb?).

-p

RichP

Second Unit
Anyone using a Mac should really check out Delicious Library. It is hands down the absolute coolest and slickest looking media catalog program on the market. Fully supports bluetooth and QuickTime video barcode scanning.
http://www.delicious-monster.com
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx, Rich--more evidence that I should more strongly consider dumping my PC and getting a Mac. :)
Looks like part of the time consumption issue I describe above is addressed by Delicious Library's support of any QuickTime-supported digital camera such as Apple's iSight to scan barcodes. Apparently there's even a wireless scanner that would enable you to scan your collection without bringing all your discs to your computer disc-by-disc. :emoji_thumbsup:
-p

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have Delicious Library for my Mac. It's a great-looking program, and its use of iSight as a bar scanner is extremely cool. The only problem - and it's a big one - is that the searchable info is limited to the info that the program scoops up from Amazon. In other words, if you have a DVD of a film, it may only have a couple of the actors listed, and maybe no director at all. So if you searched for every movie in your collection featuring character actor E. Emmet Walsh, you might not get any. For DVDs, my favorite program is still DVD Profiler, and I maintain it on my work Windows PC.

This is admittedly less of a problem for CDs, where Amazon is pretty good about having each and every song listing.

For me, the Mac solution is coming - the Mac version of Music Collector. I love that program, and it's so comprehensive. I can search, as I did recently, for every CD in my collection with a version of "Dark End of the Street," and it pulls up the alarming answer - 13 CDs - in a matter of seconds.

RichP

Second Unit
To be fair Stu, Delicious Library allows for full editing of all content and images, so you can add or remove any data that you do or do not want. Certainly not as convenient as having everything provided for you, but you are not "limited" in any way, you simply would need to add any additional info yourself.

Also, Delicious Library stores the entire collection database in XML, so that the data itself can be manipulated and/or searched on by any program capable of reading XML.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
So all of these cataloging systems work by bputting your CD in the drive, as opposed to DVD Profiler where you type in the UPC?

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Just curious: for those of you that burn copies of (your own) vinyl LPs onto CDs. How do you catalog these? Finding a similar CD version and entering its info? Or are these tracked separately, or not at all?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul.S /t/201187/recommendation-on-cd-catalogue-software#post_2612013
Looks like part of the time consumption issue I describe above is addressed by Delicious Library's support of any QuickTime-supported digital camera such as Apple's iSight to scan barcodes. Apparently there's even a wireless scanner that would enable you to scan your collection without bringing all your discs to your computer disc-by-disc. :emoji_thumbsup:
-p

Paul:

I'm about to pull the trigger on Collectorz. One of the big selling points for me is that it now allows users to enter CDs via USB scanners of the UPC codes. I just ordered a handheld scanner off Amazon and am excited to get going. I'm doing a huge overhaul of my media storage at home.

Does the program also handle SACDs and DVD-As well?

If I'd waited three more days, this would have been a seven-year-later thread bump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks