What's new

Recommend me a replacement for my Samsung 1400 (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I have just reached the end of my patience with this player. I have done all the updates and I simply want to watch my Season 3 Mad Men discs. It starts to load and it just goes into an infinite loop and just runs the moving bubble graphic across the screen.. 10 minutes later and my wife and I are still waiting.

Time to get a new player.

I would like to spend $200-$250 and I don't need wifi or to connect to the web. Just straightforward playback of discs.

I would like to learn if there is a Sony model that is well regarded or should I stretch and get the less expensive Oppo or even the more expensive BD83?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony's line of 3D-ready players have been getting good reviews, many claiming boot and load times are as fast, if not faster, than the PS3.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
either of the oppo player would be the best bet to get.

Jacob

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
I just replaced my P1400 this week with a Sony 1000ES that had an MSRP last year when it was introduced of $699 (over priced at the time IMO), but is available from at least one seller for $200 shipped (underpriced for its capability, again IMO). Sony recently discontinued this model and apparently dumped their remaining stock to at least two online vendors that I saw (one of them has since sold out). It is NOT 3D capable now or ever, but does include WiFi and 4G of external memory for BD Live. My impressions so far........a great buy for me!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665945151

If interested, do a search and you should not have any trouble finding the $200 vendor.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought my brothers wife a Panasonic BDP-60 for X-Mas and It's worked flawlessly so far. I'd choose Panasonic over LG and Samsung and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sony either, but just for displays and BR players.

But also consider the Pioneer Elite BDP-51FD. Excellent video section, outstanding analog audio (Wolfson DAC's, just as good or better then Burr-Brown . If BR playback is all you need then a solid Panasonic, Sony or Pioneer Elite would be at least almost as good, and with the Elite 51, as good, as the Oppo but hopefully quite a bit cheaper. But the analog section of the 83SE is supposed to be outstanding for the price from what I've heard, not far off from the $6000 Denon and Marantz players. And you can't do better than OPPO's customer service.

Also, that 1400 was a real good BR player, playback issues not with-standing. It was made back when nearly all BR players had really good video sections in them, which is one of the reasons why they were so expensive at first. A 1400 was my first BR player, replaced by the Elite 51.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I've been very happy with the DMP-BD85 I won. Also own the DMP-BD35. Panasonic's FW support is second to none, and I know you did not express web content interest, but Pandora radio is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks