What's new

Recomendation: Onkyo TX-SR703, Marantz SR4600 or Marantz SR5600? (1 Viewer)

elmer

Grip
Hi guys I would like to listen your opinions about this three A/V receivers, which brand is better Onkyo or Marantz.

Onkyo TX-SR703, Marantz SR4600 or Marantz SR5600?

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I love Marantz, but if those are the choices, I'd have to say the 703 is going to give you more than the 5600 in terms of power and features.

elmer

Grip
Which brand do you recommend, Onkyo or Marantz not counting on the features, just taking care of sound quality.

I've heard SR4600 and I liked its sound quality even with less power than 703. I also tryed Onkyo HTS-780-S combo and it has a poor sound quality compated to SR4600.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sound wise, Marantz :) I've owned a number of their receivers and amps and that's why I keep buying them - they sound great. Both my main HT and my 2ch rig in the bedroom I run Marantz.

The 780 receiver is the equivalent of a 502, so no surprise there.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Sounds like you may have just answered your question on your own. If you like one's sound over the other then you should go for it and not mess with getting 100 opinions. Personally I like the 5600 (I currently have the 5400). But, John seems to have very sound advice so you might consider what he has to say (he's the reason I went with the GR-Research speakers I have). Anyway, I'd go with the 5600 way before I considered the 4600, I'd say if you like the 5600 and the other unit you are looking at then you probably can't go wrong as long as they have the features you are looking for.

elmer

Grip
Thank You Guys
I think I am gonna buy the Marantz 5600.
I will combine it with Klipsch Speakers.

Regards.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
They sound very nice. I'm not sure if there is a break in period on them or not, either way they sound great now.

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I just bought the 703 nearly three weeks ago. Got from circuit city for 599. I was using a h/k 325 before which I had in the living room in 2005 while I had a pioneer 1014 in the theater. I wasn't impressed with the pioneer, (which I normally love pioneer). I just liked my H/k 325 better. So I sold the 1014 and moved the H/k back to the living room. With it being tax refund season, I was looking into buying a decent multi channel amp and a Dvd player a hopefully a good subwoofer. Somehow while researching, my mind pushed me toward a receiver and ended up getting the Onkyo and a subwoofer and a dvd player. I'm still not sure if I am halucinating or what, but it seems that I am hearing extra but subtle sounds on the Onkyo. Its sounds great and I love the thing. I wished I could have giving up my search for a dvd player so I could have gotten a better sub, But I just couldn't. I got a Mtx sw2 it was on sale for a good price. I had a polk 10 and a Klh 10 in the main theater. They were ok but deeps base kept producing popping sounds. Turns out that it was the polk because the klh hits as low as the klh 12 inch. I have the mtx connect as a lfe and the klh mated with my klipsch fronts. I'm still yearning for more. SO I am tempted by the Dayton 12 and by possibly two outlaw audio subs.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, I havn't heard the other two but just throwing in a vote for the Onkyo.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Hey Billy,

How's the video switching with the 703? I'm on the verge of getting one from OneCall, but the problems that Joe had with his 503 in this

thread

make me question this, particularly as I have the same DVD changer as he does.

Thanks

Boaty McBoatface

Second Unit
Real Name
Billy Posey
I've hadn't noticed any problems with the video switching. I'm connected to a infocus projector and I mostly watch widescreen movies, only a couple of 4:3 and I had noticed any problems at all.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Onkyo makes solid equipment period. My 797 purchased in 2002 has been running daily without a problem. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the brand for sound quality or build quality.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I agree the Onkyo 797 is very well built. I had one for a week, but returned it because I didn't like the sound as much as that of the Marantz 6200 I had in for repair (S-video switching, fixed).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks