What's new

Reciever with HDMI input and component output. (1 Viewer)

pmisra

Auditioning
Real Name
praveen misra
Here is my set up.
Receiver : Panasonic SA-XR70S (http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/panasonic-sa-xr70s/4505-6466_7-31290106.html)
Blue-Ray player: Samsung BD3600
TV: Panasonic TH-42PH10UK (http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?VA=Panasonic&chPartNumber=TH-42PH10UK)

My
receiver has one HDMI input and one HDMI out.
TV has only component inputs. (no hdmi)
When i connect my BD player to
receiver via HDMI, receiver does recognize the signal as HDMI and plays the audio. But i do not get any video. I connected BD player to receiver also with component outs and then i am getting the video.

Is my receiver not switching my HDMI Video to component video?
does it mean i may not be getting the best quality video? (TV is just 720p not 1080p anyway)

is there something i can do to get better results or i am maxed out?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't know of any receivers that will down convert from HDMI to component. So, if you're going from BD player to receiver, with HDMI, and then from receiver to tv with component, you're not going to get a picture. The tv would need an HDMI input, for that to work. You need to go component to receiver, then component from receiver to tv.

A lot of the newer receivers will upconvert, from component to HDMI, but not the other way around. You're maxed out, as you said. If the tv is only 720p, the component is giving you that anyway.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
No receiver is going to downconvert HDMI to analog component because basically, it is illegal (requires circumventing copy protection). Best bet is to go HDMI to the receiver and component directly to the TV. You'll get max 1080i/720p for the BD and 480p for DVD (no upscaling over component).

OwenRocky

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
I am having a similar issue and have a similar question. I have a Samsung HTAS730ST reciever and I have my PS3 hooked up to the receiver via HDMI and back to the TV via HDMI. I want to add my cable box to the receiver, but I would have to do it through component cables. Can I have the cable box to the receiver through component cables and use the existing HDMI from my PS3's connection or for every device I add, I have to have the same cable going from the receiver to the TV?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Ron,

That unit has no upconversion via HDMI, so you would have to connect via all component, either through the receiver or directly to the TV. This makes switching a little difficult and you'll be spending more on cables, which is why receivers that upconvert everything to HDMI are popular.

OwenRocky

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the quick reply. That sucks. I just bought my system last Friday, but I don't want to go through the hassle of returning it, and buy a new system, so I'll have to deal with more wires. Thanks again.

rajmicros

Auditioning
Real Name
Raj
Hi All,
I'm looking for help, and I hope some one will help me.

I got a HDTV with no HDMI ports, all its has got component and S-video ports.

I got a notebook which has all the ports except component ports.

I want ti buy a Blue Ray Player, and I want to connect my laptop to the blue ray player and than blue ray player to the tv.

Is it possible to do.....?

Using HDMI port of laptop, I will connect to my blue ray player and than using the component port of blue ray I will connect it to the TV.

If it is possible please let me know which is the blue ray player that has all the above ports which supports my connection

Thanking You,
Raj.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks