What's new

Receivers with Ethernet Ports (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The Rotels have a RJ45 connection that you use to either connect to a PC for control, doing firmware updates or in future to connect to their new network interface device which will allow you to connect to them via a wireless lan (or wired if need be).

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Curtis is right. The NR900 can hook up directly to your broadband connection. It is even recommended to hook it up to a home broadband network via your router. I find this intriguing as i have a router based home network and would love to try this receiver out.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
That is way cool......But what exactly can you do with it? Streaming audio I am sure Hmmmmm

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Right, it's a true Ethernet port, and you can stream audio from a home network to the receiver.

I haven't seen this in any other AVR, although the proliferation of devices that allow you to accomplish the same thing leads me to believe that it will be a common feature on the next gen of AVRs.

The issue that Onkyo/Integra installed the RJ-45 jack for is Net Tune compatibility. Nettune utilizes the XIVA network for identifying and catagorizing music and then delivering it over IP to XIVA capable receivers.
The british company Imerge was the first to implement the XIVA network for their audio servers aimed at the high end custom market. I actually programmed one of the first M-1000's for a $240,000 Crestron house that I did.
Anyway, Imerge has licensed the XIVA net technology to Elan, Marantz, Onkyo/Integra, Linn, Meridian, Revox and Phillips. So, for that pupose I would only imagine ethernet ports being available on those manufacturer's products.
However, other audio-serving networks (like CDDB) could be implemented by other manufacturers, so we'll have to wait and see!

Barry

Bobpaul

Agent
Hi:

I use a Turtle Beach Audiotron via a Linksys WEP11 into my WIFI network, then pass the optical digital out into the receiver. This is so far the only component-grade looking and performing jukebox out of the whole bunch of similar devices, the only one with digital out.

www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audiotron

Who said MP3 radio was dull? Amazing sound from stations like Radio Paradise, Smooth Jazz, and Redman's Shoutcast, streaming at 120-320 kb/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks