What's new

Receivers and amps (1 Viewer)

Eugene Warren

Auditioning
Real Name
Eugene
Will a preamp help my system. I have a 7.1 audio system with a 4000 watt and a 2000 watt amps . My main two speakers are capable of handling about 3600 watts each. My new audio system puts out about 125 watts per channel. The problem I am having is my receiver clips out at about 16 on a scale of volume 1 - 50. I believe i am putting to much power into the amps and causeing a back up and clipping the receiver. I was told I needed a preamp but I am not sure that a preamp will take the wattage of my receiver or will it. I don't know somebody help me. I am pretty savy on alot of things. My old system works great and so do the old speakers but i wanted bigger and better so I built some huge tower speakers (two 12"s and one 10" square kickers , two 6" pyle mid range and two 1" pyle titanium tweeters per tower) and bought a new audio and and a couple of amps. Thats as far as my knowledge goes with this stuff. I have tried the tuner by itself with the speakers but thats like a smart car trying to pull a trailer with a backhoe on it.So hince the the 2 amps I bought. Any info will be very appreciated.
Thanks Eugene

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The problem I am having is my receiver clips out at about 16 on a scale of volume 1 - 50. I believe i am putting to much power into the amps
How do you have the receiver connected to the amps? What amps do you have?
I was told I needed a preamp but I am not sure that a preamp will take the wattage of my receiver or will it.
A pre-amp is a receiver without an amplifier section. It outputs a pre-amp level signal that feeds an external amp or amps. That's why I asked how you have your current system connected.
I built some huge tower speakers (two 12"s and one 10" square kickers , two 6" pyle mid range and two 1" pyle titanium tweeters per tower)
What's your nominal impedance of the tower? Do you have an impedance graph by frequency? What kind of crossovers are you using?
I am pretty savy on alot of things.
No need to boast. :D
I have a couple of ideas as to what could be wrong but I don't want to waste time with them until I know a few more details. Please answer those questions above and that will narrow down the possible issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks