What's new

Receivers & 4 omh loads (1 Viewer)

Joseph_Jackson

Auditioning
Hello Guys & Gals, I'm looking to purchase some boston acoustics in-wall speakers. The speakers that I'm going to purchase are the VRi593, VRi553, and VRi580. The problem I'm having is that the VRI593,VRI553 are 4ohm speakers and the VRI580's are 8 ohms. I'm looking at getting a H/K AVR325. Is it possible without damage to the receiver to run these speakers w/ this receiver?

Thanks Again

Joseph Jackson

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
You should be ok with the Hk...I wouldn't try it with a lesser reciever and you will have to watch out for excessive heat from the receiver but I think you'll be ok

CodyL

Grip
I called and wrote to HK about 4ohm speakers recently and was told that HK receivers and amps are "only rated for 8 ohm speakers". I am left to wonder why, but the customer service guy couldn't/wouldn't answer that question or tell me that it was OK to run 4ohm speakers. In short, I don't think we can get an official OK that HK will handle 4 ohm loads (as opposed to Denon, which gives an OK on their website FAQ), and instead have to rely on advice of others that have tried it. From all posts I have read, HK should be fine at 4 ohm loads for most use, but I guess we are left to our own and may suffer accordingly.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You will not damage the receiver, it is your speakers that you risk damaging, as 4ohm speakers will work the amp harder. 1 of 2 things is likely to happen: the receiver will shut down, or you will fry tweeters/x-overs when you run out of current.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I was recently looking at the HK AVR 525 & I have 5 6 ohm speakers. I sent HK an email & they said I'd "probably" be OK powering 5 6 ohm speakers (but they wouldn't say definitely) with this particular reciever but definitely not 7 6 ohm speakers. I would not risk running multiple 4 ohm speakers on the HK if they don't want to tell you it's OK.

I ended up getting an NAD receiver which will power 6 4 ohm speakers simultaneously without a problem. Maybe the HK would have been OK but I wasn't going to gamble on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks