What's new

Receiver upgrade to an HDMI receiver... (1 Viewer)

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I’m look at upgrading my receiver with one that favors HDMI. Question is, the receiver of today that refer to “HDMI by-pass”. Does this mean true “by-pass” pf the HDMI signal or will my signal get some level of derogation due to running through the circuitry of the receiver? My current receiver is the Yamaha HTR-5890. I do use all 7.1 channels of audio. I currently use AudioQuest HDMI Chocolate cables and run directly from my devices to my TV’s HDMI inputs (Sony BDP-CX960 Blu-ray changer, HD DVR and SageTV HD Theater). I am looking at either the Yamaha RX-V2065BL or the Pioneer VSX-92TXH. A few things, I pretty much only use the receiver for HDTV or Blu-ray and that’s it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Do you mean "Pass-Thru" instead of "By-Pass"? Pass-Thru means it caries only video, not audio. You don't want this. Get a receiver that is HDMI 1.3a "Repeater". Both the 2065 and 92txh would be an excellent choice as would so many others.

Many receivers, like the 2 you are considering, also "up-convert" analog signals, like a vhs, to hdmi. They also "up-scale" a non HD signal, like a regular dvd, to 1080P.

Most any receiver that accepts a digital signal thru hdmi and routes it to the hdmi output will do so without degrading the picture quality. Up-converting and up-scaling can be of varing degrees of success depending on the make and model of receiver. Higher priced receivers will generally do a better job but even lower priced models seem to be acceptable. The 2065 and 92txh should both be pretty good at it.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for clearing that up... I did not mean "pass-thru", I know what that is. The tech specs on description of several receivers I read about on cnet talked about "by-pass" technology where the HDMI signal as long as it was originally 1080p would by-pass the circuitry of the receive and leave it as is and only touch/manipulate the signal if it were lower then 1080p. But I'm sure my newbie terms are not accurate. But you pretty much confirm what my understanding was even if I was using incorrect terms. Thanks.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK, bit the bullet and picked up the Pioneer VSX-23TXH Elite. So far pretty impressed with it, and now shopping for speakers. My room is 25' long x 17' wide and seating is about 10' from TV/Center Ch.... Any suggestions? (buget is pretty open, but I can't say it's unlimited either).

Thanks

LD9000

Auditioning
Originally Posted by HDNutts2010

OK, bit the bullet and picked up the Pioneer VSX-23TXH Elite. So far pretty impressed with it, and now shopping for speakers. My room is 25' long x 17' wide and seating is about 10' from TV/Center Ch.... Any suggestions? (buget is pretty open, but I can't say it's unlimited either).

Thanks

Excellent choice on the Pioneer Elite receiver. The TXH line are some of the best on the market. I've been an avid Denon fan for many, many years. I switched to the Elite line and home theater has never been better. I'm not saying Denon isn't great for HT, but the Elite line (I bought audio and video equipment) just made my home theater come to life.
As far as speakers go -- if you can get your hands on some Definitive Technology or Paradigm speakers, those are a match made in heaven for the Elite. Your room is a good size -- don't short change yourself on the subwoofer as well. Good luck in your choices.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Thanks! My sub is a Klipsch RW12D.. not sure that's enough or not. I've been looking am Jamo speakers so that is the "price range" I've already got in my head. but I'm open to higher if needed. I'll check out the lines you suggested and report back! Thanks again.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am another Pioneer Elite fan -- now on my 2nd Elite receiver (vsx-94txh). I do not know the price range of the Jamo speakers you are considering, but I have been very happy with my B&W 600 Series speakers paired with two different Elite receivers -- my old receiver was a vsx-47tx.

As for the subwoofer, I would keep your Klipsch for now if funds are tight, and concentrate on the other speakers first. You can always upgrade the sub later, as it does not need to match your other speakers.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK went with the Klipsch speakers. For the fronts and the rears I went with the WB-14 model (Icon 4-1/2" Bookshelf Speakers 80W Max) for the center I went with the WC-24 model (Icon Dual 4-1/2" 2-Way Center-Channel). I love the sound so far, I have great depth and good lows and highs from all. I'm not sure yet that I'm getting the over all "LOUD" feeling. But to be honest, I've not really cracked the volume since I'm giving them a chance to "break in" and the sub I have a bit on the low power side just to hear what the new speakers are doing. I can return these up until February 9th if I don't like them for a full refund or an exchange.

Any comments on the selection for what might be better but not like dbl the $$$$.

Thanks.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Be sure to run MCACC if you haven't already done so. It should improve the sound you hear.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Klipsch have a very distinctive sound due to their horn tweeters. Only you will be able to determine whether you like that sound or not. Klipsch speakers, though, are quite efficient, so they should not overly tax the amplifier in your receiver.

Also, as Selden mentions above, be sure to run the MCACC setup program on your Elite. It should improve the sound setup with its room equalization.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't want to completely hijack Scott's thread...but I, too, will someday want to upgrade my receiver (I currently have a Sony STR-DE 445) to one with HDMI capabilities.

As I would likely be looking at a lower end model, are there HDMI receivers being made which still have analog 5.1 audio I/Os? I've got a Pioneer 563A which I am using for SACD listening and would not want to lose that capability.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Legacy style inputs are disappearing from lower end equipment, but I suspect they'll continue to be available in the more expensive models. (S-video connections are the current victims of that cost reduction.) Entry level HDMI-capable receivers don't include multi-channel analog inputs (but have entry-level receivers ever included them?), so you probably will have to spend more than $500 to get them.

HDMI does support multichannel SACD DSD audio, and some universal players generate it, but, similar to 7.1 analog inputs, only the more expensive receivers and pre/pros can decode it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Selden Ball

Entry level HDMI-capable receivers don't include multi-channel analog inputs (but have entry-level receivers ever included them?)...
Thanks, Selden. Lucky for me the Sony STR-DE 445 did...because that's how I'm listening to the audio from both the Pioneer (SACD) and my Panny BD-10 (Blu-ray).

If I go with the HDMI in the receiver (I'm currently using HDMI for video directly from my Dish Network box and Panny BD-10), I'd be able to process the Blu-ray audio...but I'd still be stuck for the SACD listening.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yes I did run the MCACC and I'll tell you I really like the way this sounds. I'm not sure if going with bigger speakers would sound better or not. My center is the WC-24 with 4.5" horn and (2) 4.5" woofer, Fronts and Surrounds are all the same WB-14's with 3.75" horn and 4.5" woofer. I'm thinking this might be a little undersized for what I might really want. It's a huge improvement from what I had before. Don’t get me wrong, my system as never sounded this good ever. But this is the last upgrade I want to do for a long while and I'm not sure since the cost isn't all that much more should I go with: Klipsch Center RC-64 (4) 6.5" woofers, Fronts RB-61, 6.5" woofer, WS-24 Surrounds these. Will this over all sound better, deeper, louder, cleaner at high volume and over all "more" then the small sized speakers I selected or will it be over kill or not really noticed? I have the option to returns these for full credit and get the larger speakers so it’s really a matter of if I do it will it be worth it for the sound etc… Thanks in advance for all the help! PS: Mike F. No worries regarding hijacking my thread. It's all good as we all have questions, answers and needs. Thats why we are here!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Will this over all sound better, deeper, louder, cleaner at high volume and over all "more" then the small sized speakers I selected or will it be over kill or not really noticed? I have the option to returns these for full credit and get the larger speakers so it’s really a matter of if I do it will it be worth it for the sound etc…
I think it would but the only way to find out is to listen to them in your own home. That isn't really the type of question that can be answered on a keyboard. But I bet the larger center in particular would be an improvement. Mike, some entry level receivers still have 5.1 inputs. They haven't disappeared yet but I'm sure they will eventually. The Denon 1610 ($379) has m/c inputs as does the H/K 1600 ($499), the Pioneer 919 ($399), the Sony 800 ($269) and Onkyo 507 ($399). Yamaha's entry level receivers don't appear to have them.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Question regarding the MCACC auto setup... What volume level should you use, low, middle, high???

Thanks

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Gene: Thanks a bunch. I'll look up those models and maybe use this info to consider making a mover rather than later!

P.S. Can't tell you how much I've learned from your posts over the years. Really appreciate you taking the time to chime in here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by gene c

I think it would but the only way to find out is to listen to them in your own home. That isn't really the type of question that can be answered on a keyboard. But I bet the larger center in particular would be an improvement.
I agree with Gene. While I am not familiar with these particular Klipsch models, I did run into a similar situation with center speakers when I bought my B&W 600 Series several years ago. I started with a smaller CC6 center speaker, and was not really happy with the sound from that particular speaker. It sounded thin compared to the rest of the speakers in the system. I exchanged it for a larger LCR6 center, and was thrilled with the improvement.

Your center speaker is probably the most important one in a 5.1/7.1 setup. Make sure you are happy with it. I would at least try the larger center with your setup and see if there is a noticeable improvement.

HDNutts2010

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
OK So now I'm thinking of going "BIGGER"... Any comments on PSB Speakers? I'm looking at the Image Series... Only issue is that their Center Ch. only comes in a a 2x5.25" (C5 Model) configuration. The Fronts I'd go with the Bookshelf 6.5" (B6 Model) and the Surrounds bipole 2x5.25" (S5 Model) They are all rated from 20W to 150W (Recommended) and 150W (Program).

Any comments would be great!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I have used PSB speakers since I first got started in home theater. I currently run a pair of Image T6 towers in front, a C5 center, a pair of S5 surrounds, and an old pair of my very first alphas as back surrounds. My subwoofer is a Paradigm Servo 15 (PSB is not known for the best subwoofers).

I absoluely love the Image speakers.

The great thing about the entire Image line of speakers is that they're all made from similar drivers and all intended to work well together. They've designed the speakers to intermix very effectively. I wouldn't be concerned about the woofer size difference between the C5 and the B6's. According to PSB's own website - the C5 is paired with the B6's in one of their recommended systems - I'd take their word for it.

If you can find a local dealer to audition the speakers do so. To me, the PSBs were warm, yet accurate. Not overly harsh, and at least to me, struck a good balance in performance with both music and movies. One of my favorite CDs for auditioning speakers is the score from "Glory". Hearing tracks 1, 10, and 11 on the image speakers was fantastic - such detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks