What's new

Receiver upconverts -- how do I know which for sure? (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm reading up in advance on purchase of the rx-v1900 and it upconverts over component -- makes me wonder if I can wait (HDMI) on the plasma for now...? Is there a "gotcha" in this thinking?

Also, when I do get the plasma, and coupling it with the Oppo BDP83, when HDMI is through the receiver, how do I make sure that the signal is from the player only and not upconverting through the receiver?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Component video conversion only converts interlaced 480i to progressive 480p. You need hdmi to convert a signal to 1080P.

Also, when I do get the plasma, and coupling it with the Oppo BDP83, when HDMI is through the receiver, how do I make sure that the signal is from the player only and not upconverting through the receiver?
Set the video output of the 83 to 1080p (HDMI) and just about any receiver will pass it thru un-touched. It can't up-convert a signal that's already 1080P. And most receivers will also have a setting to allow a video signal to pass thru it un-touched, like a 480i signal which someone may want their display to up-convert. In short, you can set things up so either the DVD player, receiver or display convert the video signal. It's all in the choices that are made in their setup menu's.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
> how do I make sure that the signal is from the player only and
> not upconverting through the receiver?

Reading your question as "How do I verify...", modern TVs and projectors include an information display which reports the resolution of the incoming signal. If that doesn't agree with the settings in the input device, then the receiver must be doing some up-conversion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks