Receiver too close to TV - not shielded?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt*B, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Matt*B

Matt*B Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I have my New Panasonic receiver about 4 or 5 inches to the left of my new RPTV. In the past, i would have thought nothing of this, but in reading the manual for the receiver it said not to place the receiver on top of TV's as it may cause magnetic interference. That made me wonder just how damaging, if at all, it could be having the reciever to the immediate right of my RPTV. I didn't notice any distortion, but i just wanted to see if there were any side effetcs....

Thanks,

Matt

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My receiver is about 5 inches below my TV and there is no problem.

The CRT is in the bottom of your RPTV, so your receiver isn't likely to have any effect on it anyway.

3. amatala

amatala Stunt Coordinator

I have a H/K AVR430 receiver and when I bought it I first installed it in the shelf underneath my TV (about 10 cm away).
    Each time I turned my receiver on (while the TV was running), the EM pulse created by the receiver's power supply created a big red stain of colour on my TV's screen. Sometimes it took many minutes for the stain to disappear from the TV's screen even after turning off the receiver.
    So my advice is: if your care about your TV, keep your receiver (especially its power supply) at least 25-30 cm away from your TV's screen.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yeah, but you guys are also 220VAC, aren't you? That will likely make a difference.

My Marantz 8300 has a pretty beefy power supply (rated 120W x 6) and I have had no problems for the past year with less than 10" between it and my TV.