What's new

Receiver Specs Question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
So, I'm in the process of replacing my aging equipment. The new stuff is gear I can actually afford and get my hands on. The receiver, Sony's STR-DN1030, seems like the clear shot. But there is something the specs that confuses me as to whether this receiver pushes too much power to safely run the speakers i picked, a pair of Polk TSI100s. The official specs are:
8Ohms 1kHz : 110W + 110W
8Ohms 20-20kHz : 100W + 100W
Total : 1015W (145/ch x 7 (8 ?, 1kHz, 0.9% THD 1ch)
Now, for the smarter-than-me people: can this receiver run the speakers, which are rated up to 100W, without risk of blowout?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is why you have a volume knob. And a Sony isn't going to produce anywhere near its advertised output* through more than 3 channels.
*To be fair, neither does anyone else...(HK, Anthem etc...notwithstanding)
Essentially you'll be "pushing it" if you muster the ability to listen to more than 20wpc without killing your ear drums.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
The numbers you provide really do not tell you anything. 110w at 1khz is useless, unless you like to listen to 1khz sine waves, and that does not tell you if your dealing with .01% distortion, 1% or 10%. Also, is that a sustained power level? Or is that a peak figure for a fraction of a second?
I'm guess that the receiver will deliver a decent amount of power, in line with other brands at it's price point.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Or to put what everyone else has said a different way, speaker max power ratings are somewhere between silly and useless. You need to have enough power in the receiver to not underpower the speakers through distortion. On the top end, any normal speaker will not be harmed if you don't play it too loud. So unless you like to constantly play at nightclub levels, you'll be fine with the Sony and the Polks. (And if you do, you'll have the same kind of problem with any speaker other than a PA system.)
The 8? was probably referring to the resistance (ohms), and that's the more important spec. Low resistance speakers (4 ohm) will give receivers not design for them a hard time; either by shutting them down, or damaging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks