What's new

Receiver/Speakers pairing help (1 Viewer)

ncbrown81

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
I'm just getting a foot in the door with a real home theater system and while I'm trying to do this on a small budget, I do still have some questions regarding power ratings and wattage across the system.

The receiver I've been looking at is the Denon AVR-E400.

The speakers: Monoprice 10565 (I said budget didn't I?)

I'm just looking for some insight into what is compatible with regard to wattage. Power requirements for the speakers and power rating of the reciever.

Would that system above be compatible?

What's a good rule of thumb when selecting a reciever/speaker set?

I appreciate any feedback.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wattage(like mentioned in dozens of threads) is meaningless.You care about (mentioned in dozens of threads) ohm load and efficiency. Those speakers will work with every amp/receiver ever made.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Those speakers will work with every amp/receiver ever made.
Minor clarification, those speakers will work with any decent/real receiver ever made (but possibly not low-end HTiB systems). The reason is because they are 8 ohm, which every (real) receiver supports. If they were 4 ohm you would have to purchase a 4 ohm rated receiver/amp.
Wattage(like mentioned in dozens of threads) is meaningless.
And before you ask, "then why do they list it?", it's because some manufacturer did at some point, so they think if they don't they'll look worse. Plus, they get to say "300 watts!" or some such thing, which looks good to some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks