What's new

Receiver shut down (1 Viewer)

Rick_B

Auditioning
Greetings and Happy New Year!

Question: I'm having trouble with my home stereo receiver and television shutting down when volume is in the medium to elevated levels. Both are connected separately to a surge protector. They are a Kenwood VR6060 and a Panasonic respectively. It seems to happen randomly (i.e. no other triggering event). The higher the volume, the more quickly they shut down (like an internal circuit breaker). The TV comes back on after a few minutes, the receiver needs to be turned off, then back on (a blinking power light indicated that it has shut-down rather than just powered off).

The problem began a couple months after setting the system up. Thus, they operated properly for awhile. Since it happens to both, I suspect there is an outside influence. One shutting down does not necessarily influence the other.
The system is set up with two bookshelf front speakers, two satelights, a center channel and an unpowered sub.

It happens more frequently with the receiver and they have never shut down together (at the same time). The TV had been plugged into the receiver and has since been connected directly to the surge protector but it has made no noticable difference.

Any thoughts and/or questions are welcomed.

THANKS!!!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't know as to the TV shutting down...

But for the receiver, ther culprit is usually always heat problems, and/or shorts in your speaker wiring. Check your wiring carefully, and redo it all, making sure all the connections are clean, and no strands stray to neighboring connectors.

Make sure your receiver is not covered with anything, isn't near a big source of heat, and is NOT on something that blocks the intakes at the bottom, such as carpet or something. People tend to forget the last one, the carpet blocks the intakes if you put it on the floor, so it can't draw cold air to cool.

It could also be a bad speaker, like a shorted VC, so if the connections and heat problems aren't the culprit, then you can try manually all the speakers to see if any one causes the unit to shut down.

Rick_B

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. I have suspected heating as a problem but since the unit would shut down cold, I kinda ruled that out. It sits on a stereo stand on a glass shelf with no obstructions. (although this unit has a reputation for running hot)

We also had our neighbor's 2 year old turn the volume all the way up, then hit "power" once which rocked the house. But, I haven't been able to tie the two together directly.

I think I'll start with re-wiring the whole enchilada.

Thanks!!!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Also.......are you driving 4 ohm speakers, with a receiver that's meant for 8 ohms or higher? That will make the receiver run very hot and shut down..........(safety feature).

Rick_B

Auditioning
I think the complete dismantling of the system did the trick. I have switched our problem receiver with one from downstairs and now both are working fine in their new locations. I did this to rule out environmental problems with the room. Apparently the wiring had gotten screwy somehow. The TV did cut out once today so in hindsight the issues were probably unrelated. It did this while hooked up in theater mode with no sound capabilty so volume couldn't be an issue. Maybe time for a new TV...:)

At least I know I didn't accidentally ruin a perfectly good receiver.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks