What's new

Receiver Opinions Wanted (1 Viewer)

BrianDD

Agent
I am looking for some opinions on receivers to be used basically as a preamp. I am using a Pioneer VSX-24TX now along with a Parasound 855 5 channel amp and an HK PA2000 bridged to two channels. The receiver itself is only running a second set of Polk side surrounds I had left over before my upgrade to all Klipsch Ref 3 series. Before anyone asks, yes, I have considered just getting a preamp but the Outlaw 950 is the only one that has all the features I want (DD EX, DTS ES, PLII) and is even close to my budget (~$800). I really don't want to wait forever to get the Outlaw. The models I am considering are: Denon 2802/3802, Yamaha RXV-1200/2200, and the Sony STR-DA5ES. Right now I am leaning towards the Sony. I have never been a fan of them but I was very impressed with its sound quality and features. It is hard to judge a receiver when you aren't going to be using the built in power. I would appreciate any opinions on these models.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Many on this forum think the 3802 for the money is a top choice for a receiver/pre/pro. The same can be said of the DA5ES with it's extremely flexible/customizable bass management.

I'm currently using the H/K 510 with the same Parasound amp yielding great sound. Based on this, I would also include the 520 in your list unless you've already discounted it for some reason.

IMO, a plus to H/K or Denon is the internal amping should you require it at any time.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I think if you are going to be using the receiver as a pre then I would definitely go with the Sony 5ES. It is the most flexible out of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks