What's new

Receiver on a $500 budget... any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
hello all...

I am looking to upgrade my AVR as my Onkyo TX-sr605 seems to be letting me down with 2 HDMI inputs short of what I need currently. Possibly going to explore the Pioneer VSX-1019AH, or the SONY STR-DN1000. Any input on either of these 2 units, or possibly others like them. I am looking to hook up a HD DVR cable box, Sony BLU-RAY (all HD sound format processing), XBOX 360, and a WII. I am powering KEF towers, center, and bi-pole surrounds. It all leads into my 52" Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100. I am please with all my current equipment and would like a couple honest opinions on a new receiver. Thank you for looking...

Blu4ever

Grip
Real Name
Patrick
Hi Ben...Going for the Sony and u can use the Bravia sync. What about Sony's STR-DG920 Cnet gave both good reviews. reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/sony-str-dn1000/4505-6466_7-33539697.html And here's the review on the Pioneer http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-1019ah-k/4505-6466_7-33496205.html. It looks like the Pioneer is a little better, but it's at the higher end of your price point. I have had good luck with Sony, but after reading what you have I'd consider the Pioneer.

Good Luck!! Lets us know after u pull the trigger

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you like the Onkyo, except for not having enough HDMI inputs, I'd stick with them. They are a lot of bang for the buck. Have you looked at the 607? It has 6 HDMI inputs (1 front/5 rear). Amazon has it right now for $359. Can't beat it for that price!
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR607-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1261454061&sr=1-1
Good luck with whatever you do.

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for the input... I didn't mention this in my original post but I feel like my towers are a bit under powered. Is the extra 15 watts per channel on the pioneer really going to be that noticeable over my current onkyo?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I wouldn't think so. While the Pioneer 1019 is a fine overall receiver it didn't come close to it's stated power output with 5 channels driven in a review I read. Onkyo's, even the entry level ones, seem to be much closer to what they claim. This is an overall impression I've gotton from reading reviews in magazines and on-line bit as I recall the 1019 only spec'ed out @ about 30 wpc X 5. Here's a link. 1019-lab-test. Onkyo-606

bambam

Grip
Real Name
Ben
This seems to me like a pretty significant difference in wattage for what these 2 receivers are comparably rated for??? Does this watts measurement have a significant correlation with the overall sound quality and it's ability to drive towers which are seemingly hungry for more wattage than the onkyo 605 delivers? Is the Pioneer loaded up with features that will give it the edge over the Onkyo? It's benchtests like these which make me skeptical I suppose, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thank u

werty7777

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martin
Some food for thought....... I had a Sony 5200 ES in my main setup and had ask for some advice on improving my system and the forum thought that a large improvement could come from upgrading the receiver. I was beside myself being that I paid a grand for it just two years before. Anyway the point of the story is upon upgrading to the Onkyo 876 my Def Tech 2004 TL's no longer felt underpowered. Everyone mostly agrees you can't go wrong Onkyo and I would have to agree now. I was going to go with power amps instead of upgrading my receiver and I'm glad I didn't.
The only feature that comes to my mind that the Pioneer line has that is a "special feature" is its direct Ipod interface. Not a selling point for me but it may be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks