What's new

receiver for my dream theatre. (1 Viewer)

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
I have a 15.5' x 33' foot room, I'll loose 2' for placing speakers so 31 feet. Main use will be for movies. What reciever should I buy and budget do I need? 7-2 or 9-2? I don't want to waist $$$ but if there is a noticible difference I'm willing to step up... figured I should find the received before I post on speakers and sub woofers...Main seating will be two rows @ 14' & 18' from sceen behind that will be a bar.Thanks in advance!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Actually you choose your speakers first, Then you decide how much power they need.You buy your AVR based on your sources and the features you'll use.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I agree with Sam.

Also, in terms of budget, keep in mind that speakers should consume most of your budget. If purchased smartly, they'll outlast every other component in your system. The receiver, on the other hand, is one of the most "disposable" components - in the sense that it will become outdated much sooner than anything else.

IMO, unless you need specific features in an AVR that require a top of the line model (advanced multi-zone control, networking, pre-outs, etc.) you can usually get by very well with receivers at $500 and below. Don't "overbuy" on the receiver.

If budget gets tight, consider starting off with a basic (but well-appointed) 5.1 system, and add the extra speakers later. Every modern AVR can be configured with any combination of speakers (2.1, 3.0, 7.1, etc.). I've always been a firm believer that it's better to have a "great" 5.1 system than an "ok" 7.1 system.

Finally, have you considered everything else you'll need:
- Front projector or flat-panel display?
- If FP, ceiling or shelf-mount?
- If FP, screen size/type?

Without any guidance on what sort of budget you have in mind, it will be very difficult for us to make any specific recommendations.

Gunman606

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Gracy
[member='Gunman606']

Thanks,

I did start a thread as well in the +$3k projectors forum. My total equipment budget is $20k, The projector will most likely use up 1/2...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even if you do burn half your budget on a projector (which I think is a mistake) with $10K left over I would consider moving above receivers. That's a price range where separates can make more sense. Jason is correct that receivers become outdated, but good amps don't go out of date any faster than speakers. So, you might consider a preamp/processor, which can be updated when you want, with a good external amp, which you can keep for years.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I also agree, buy the receiver based on features. An upper mid range receiver will have pre outs and even modestly priced external amp will easily outperform a receiver. Look at options from Marantz, Onkyo, Rotel, did Outlaw ever come out with a modern processor?

For amps, check out Parasound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks