What's new

Receiver for bass shakers? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I bought Four 25 watt aura bass shakers and will wire them in series so that I have a load of 8 ohms for each 50 watt channel. I have an old Sony receiver that has 40 watts per channel, but the specs only rate from 40 hz on up. (Also the receiver could be a little flaky, or it may just need cleaning, regardless, I'm looking at other receivers).

Do I need a receiver with better specs? I see other people selling receivers I could use but some of those also only have specs listed to 40 hz.

thanx in advance for any input

:)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What's your price range? Onecall has the Onkyo TX-8011 for $150.

I'd just use the one you have, and if it dies, find something better :D

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Use the one you have, and see if you are happy with it. If not, look on ebay or Best Buy closeouts. I ended up getting a Teac stereo receiver (2 channel, not surround) from Parts Express for about $120. Onecall might have something cheaper-- their prices amaze me.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
A dedicated sub amp from Parts Express is gonna be the best option. I've used old receivers but the shakers just never seemed right.......

Jon Bell

Stunt Coordinator
DonnyD, could you elaborate? Did they shake too much/ too little? At AVS forum, some have used an FMod (frequency modulator?) to limit the frequency of what goes to the receiver/ shakers.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Jon.... I'll try to remember back that far...LOL
When I first hooked up some shakers, I had the original smaller ones that came with a small Aura amp.... they were pretty active.... until upgradeitis hit. I went with the Pro Auras hooked to an older Yamaha amp... a "M" something, bout 120x2 I think. Then I tried an old Technics amp; Fed it the lfe signal of course but the shakers seemed to be not getting enough juice or the correct frequency to make'em shake good.... I bit the bullet and bought a PE 120w sub amp and that's when my shakers came ALIVE.....and I am still using the same ones..... My son is using the originals that had the Aura amp with them and they too are still kicking.
SO>>>> my experience with amps other than a true sub amp is limited although I can say, going with the true sub amp did make quite a difference.
Hope this helps.....but remember my sig.... :D

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I can't imagine buying a receiver to drive shakers other than a used one. Are there any stores near you that sell used equipment? If not, I'd look at a couple of smaller sub plate amps. I happened to have an old Realistic receiver that is still going strong.
http://www.timn8er.com/bass_shakers.htm

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep. My only concern with the older receivers is the power specs only rated to 40 hz. I'll try the one I have and if it doesn't satisfy, perhaps I'll try something else. For comparisons sake, I'll try one of my Marantz receivers and see if I can tell the difference.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor
Chris I am going with Donny on this one. Get a dedicated sub plate amp. You can buy them for next to nothing off of ebay and they will work perfectly. I have a 40 watt RMS plate amp driving 4 shakers just fine. Yes some may say that is not enough power but it shakes enough for me with out taking away from the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks