What's new

Receiver Basics (1 Viewer)

DanSkor

Auditioning
I am sorry to post such a dumb thread, but I don't know where else to go. I am interested in creating a small home theater. I would like to know if the cable TV’s sound will play through the theater speakers. If anyone can post a website about the basics in receivers I would greatly appreciate it. Finally if anyone could recommend an inexpensive receiver that has good basic functionality.
Thanks
Dan

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Sure the cable speakers will play through the HT speakers, but it will probably only be stereo sound. Unless you you have a digital cable box with a digital audio output. OR if you turn on Dolby Pro Logic in the A/V receiver you get, you'll get the simplest form of Surround Sound. Check out this link that answers all basic questoins... A Primer for Home Theater Newcomers Page

As for what receiver is a good basic model... you really didn't specify what you consider "inexpensive." You can go to Best Buy, or Circuit City and get a $200 receiver that will have Dolby Digital & DTS in it. Just determine how much you really want to spend, then look around and find something you like, then you can post questions about it hear.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Your vcr, cable box, sattelite receiver, etc all can be run through the audio/video (home theater) receiver, just like your CD player connects, via the audio and video output connections on the various devices which connect to the audio and video inputs on the receiver.
You then connect your TV to the receiver via the 'monitor out' connection on the receiver. This way everything plays through your home theater speakers.
I think this is what you asked anyway!
As far as the receiver, like the previous poster mentioned, you can get an A/V receiver for as little as $199 or so at Circuit City (and other places, of course). The only problem is that receivers in this price range won't have nearly the input/output connection possibilities, i.e. s-video and digital connections. If you want to use s-video to your TV you will have to look for a receiver in the minimum $299 range, although you can find sales and closeouts for less. But, keep in mind that to run s-video every single video device throughout your system has to use the s-video also, i.e. vcr, dvd, cable box, sattelite receiver, tv. So if any of these you are using don't have s-video capability then you can go with the less expensive receiver.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dan. Welcome to HTF! :)

The Kenwood HTB-509 is a good starter system for about $600. It includes a full-featured receiver, 5 speakers, self-powered sub, and a 5 disk, progressive-scan DVD player. Just add TV and you have all the toys.

This is better than most HTB (Home Theaters in a Box) because you can swap out the speakers, the sub, the receiver, the DVD player as you get the upgrade bug. Many others are a all-in-one unit which is somewhat limiting.

Hope this helps.

DanSkor

Auditioning
Thanks so much you guys for all of your help. Everything works fine now and I love it, I couldn't have done it with out you! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DanSkor

Auditioning
I got the Sony ht-ddw750. It works great all except I cannot change the crossover value on the receiver. It came with a really large 75 watt sub and 5 100 watt speakers. I can push up to 16ohms so I added a set of bookshelf speakers to the font for a little extra in the front of the room. This is where my only complaint is regarding the crossover. The speakers I added are two way and I cannot find a way to get more bass to come out of the speakers. In any event the system works great and for the size of the room (15X15) it's very very loud, I cannot put it up past 50 (it goes to 60 something I think). I have run my Xbox through the optical port in the back and connected the DVD player using the digital coax. When watching a movie on the system it has 3 movie DSPs which are just absolutely breath taking. Overall it was a lot less then I had expected to pay but still gives me everything that I needed to get started. I now know exactly what I need to look for the next time, but like I said over all this is a fantastic system. BTW I only paid $249 for it on sale and I purchased the 3 year all inclusive warranty so if anything blows its free for me to get a new one. Thanks again for all of your help. :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks