What's new

Receiver advice to replace my TX-SR805 (potentially) (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
As I stated earlier on here, my TX-SR805 lost it's front left channel. Fortunately, I have a buddy who owns a shop and is looking at it for me without charging a bench fee and is going to repair at a discount if I choose. Not sure how much I'm willing to spend, but don't think I'm willing to exceed $150. He would probably buy it from me, repair it himself, and sell it with the rest of his used equipment he sells.
I'm not willing to spend that much again on a receiver.. I've gotten about $200 a year out of that receiver, I spent almost $800 for it and it lasted just about 4 years and a couple of months. I refuse to go over $400 this time, and am going refurbished because of that, and will add a 5 year warrantech warranty from Accessories4less.
These are the two I have my eye on:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR990/DENON-AVR-990-7.1ch-Networking-A/V-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR891/DENON-AVR-891-7.1-Channel-105W-A/V-1.4-3D-Ready-Receiver/1.html
It would seem to me the 990 must have a far superior amp section. Now, I'm currently running Paradigm bookshelves, so the SR-805 was overkill, but as you all know there are few receivers near it's price point that had an amp section that could touch the Onkyo. I don't need taht much power, but when I bought the Onkyo my wife was expecting our first child. I wanted something that was going to last me for years, as I had the opportunity to upgrade to larger speakers something that wouldn't sweat (jokes on me I guess). Never had a receiver really quit on me, I've simply outgrown them. Is there a substantial enough difference in the Amp section in the 990 over the 891 to constitute the nearly double original MSRP? I would have to believe so. I don't like that the 990 doesn't do 3D, so if the amp section difference would be unnoticeable or negligible, I'd probably prefer to save the money and go with the 891 with 3D pass through. The network audio on the 990 would be nice, but not a big deal really. The 3D pass through is more important IMO. BUT if we're talking about a real measureable difference in the AMP sections, I'll just get the 990 and bite the bullet and get a dual HDMI blu-ray player when the time comes for 3D.
There are also a couple of technologies built into the 990 that the 891 is lacking. Does either of these described technologies translate to any kind of real difference in real-life?
http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=20
http://www.denon.com/pages/GlossaryDetail.aspx?GId=18
I'm also not opposed to Yamaha or Pioneer Elite, but it doesn't appear you can get refurb Pioneers and the refurb Yammie's run more money for the same features. But if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. Hopefully it's all moot and my Onkyo will be fairly inexpensive to repair. But if I can get a decent comparable receiver refurbished for $350 $400 with a 5 year warranty, I'm not certain I'm willing to dump more than $150 into the Onkyo. Thank you so much in advance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
How about keeping the 805 and getting a good used two channel amp for the main channels?
A refurb from ac4l with the extra warranty is hard to beat.
I doubt you could hear a difference with those technologies, just like Onkyo's VLSC and Pioneers PQLS. They're nice to have but don't base the decision on them.
Only H/K can match Onkyo's amp sections but I bet any Denon would suffice. I'm using a little Pioneer Elite VSX-23 in one room and never felt it was straining. And it's not a power-house by any means.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
It's funny you should mention that gene. A buddy of mine has offered his Yamaha 85W x 2 Amp to connect to the main channels on my receiver. I still haven't heard from my buddy who is looking at the receiver for me (he's had it over 3 weeks, but he isn't charging me to bench test it so can't complain much I suppose). Still hoping it's a simple fix like a solder or something, but no telling. I think I will take his offer of the 85W x 2 Amp to connect to the pre-outs to use temporarily until I am able to find something I really want or even settle on an external AMP from Emotiva. I have never used an external AMP. What kind of challenges will I be facing as far as volume levels for example? I know Watts have a neglible impact on volume, but am I going to be able to make line level adjustments inside the AMP to account for the fact that I'm running 85W to my mains, and 135W to my center and the 4 surrounds?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Any difference in output between the Onkyo's channels and the external amps would be delt with in the Onkyo's speaker setup menu (or when you run Audyssey). As an example, the Fronts might be set to +3 and the Center and Surrounds to -1, all else being equal. Since you mentioned earlier That you listen at moderate levels, my guess is that Yamaha amp would work out pretty well for you. Using an 805 as a preamp processor isn't that much different then having the famed Onkyo 885/Integra 9.8 preamps.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would have to agree that you might want to add a external power amp to your set up. The specs of the 805 are very good especially at its price point.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'd definitely keep the Onkyo. You have power and features that can't be beat, at that price point. Things go wrong with stuff all the time. Ever had to repair your car?
You said you have Paradigm bookshelf speakers. Can they handle an external amp connected to an already powerful receiver? I also have the TX-SR805. My front three speakers are 4 ohm speakers, and a lot of people have told me I need an external amp. When I originally setup my receiver, I set it up for 4 ohm speaker use. I don't need an external amp. It sounds amazing, and barely gets warm. So, the 805 can handle the load of 4 ohm speakers just fine. Not sure, but if all my speakers were 4 ohm, I might need an external amp then, but maybe not.
As far as the Onkyo being overkill, I'm a firm believer that it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :D
Good luck with whatever you do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FWIW...
I use an Onkyo TX SR707 with a Kenwood Basic Line M2A running the show on the front channel. I use "height", so the receiver is already pulling duty in 5.0 mode.
Running a theater with two pairs of Infinity Crescendo 3007(the room is a 40x40 square...and no, not "dedicated" to the theater) is daunting as just a pair, let alone four matching speakers.
The room chews up power as it has floor length curtains over 60% of the total wall area. The room is also used to host parties(back deck off the rear doors) with the rear speakers often moved out there and the receiver set "all channel stereo".
The only reason I'd sell the 707(I bought it used with the Onk Ipod dock for $300 shipped...when it was less than a year old) is so I can buy a receiver with a multi-channel input to play SACD/DVD-A* . The only reason I didn't pick one to begin with is the room is an "acoustic mess" and figured "pristine audio" wasn't going to happen. Besides, I already have a room set up with 4 DCM TF(600 and 350) with the "best compromise" DCM center I could come up with, running off an Integra DTR 5.8.
So, using an amp off your 805 is not out of the question. If you sell it, there will be plenty of buyers out there...even with a dead channel.
*I'm sure by now there are DVD/BD players that can send SACD/DVD-A over HDMI...I just haven't researched it yet. Pretty sure the OPPO players do it, But I have an Onkyo universal and a Denon 1930(I think...1940???) collecting dust in a closet. Currently have an Integra universal connected to the DTR 5.8.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
schan1269 said:
*I'm sure by now there are DVD/BD players that can send SACD/DVD-A over HDMI...I just haven't researched it yet. Pretty sure the OPPO players do it, But I have an Onkyo universal and a Denon 1930(I think...1940???) collecting dust in a closet. Currently have an Integra universal connected to the DTR 5.8.
Yes, my Oppo BDP-83 does, and my Onkyo 805 can handle it too. SACD and DVD-Audio discs sound great......... :D

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is good to know. My fav multi-channel(I still haven't bought any online hi-res cause, last I checked, they were only 2 channel) are Beck(he's got three out now...maybe more???) and two Handel, one water music, the other Messiah.
Ahem, not to derail the OP...
We'd never do that....

Users who are viewing this thread