What's new

Receiver 4 ohm stable? (1 Viewer)

subynube

Grip
Real Name
Josh
I was actually looking at this denon unit 2807, and it definately is something I would buy. However, they only claim 8ohms power load minimum :frowning:
Otherwise, I would get this exact unit because of all the rave reviews. Don't get me wrong, I am open to tons of ideas, as long as budget allows and can power 4 ohm cleanly. So far the only receiver that I found was NAD that advertises stability at 4 ohms.

Max, do you know much about the reliability of NAD, and how the "noise" issues have been lately?

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
sat audio is an authorised dealer for NAD and Denon. all they sell is AV equipment. it is a store of passion. the store is only physically open for something like 14 hrs a week on 3 days. they do have someone in the store testing/ fixing gear most days, phone hours are listed on the website.

it seems like you've got a handle on your options, except knowing for sure what will safely drive your 4ohm speakers. i suggest giving sat audio a call. they'll know if the denon can drive 4ohm speakers (make sure you let them know what the speakers are, room size and preferred listening levels). they'll know if the NAD has buzzing, humming issues.

i bought my marantz there (traded for an onkyo inegrated amp and tuner that i bought from them). also bought 2 tape decks and various cables there. while i wouldn't say everything they sell is perfect, i would say they make an effort to be square dealers and keep their customers coming back. that is why i continue to recommend them in my posts.

subynube

Grip
Real Name
Josh
Something interesting I was just looking at. Here is the impedence curve of my speakers: (edit: cant post curve yet, need 10 posts first)

Although the nominal impedence of the speakers are 4 ohms on paper, the impedence chart shows that the impedence rarely drops below 5ohms, and is often around 6-12. Never hits as low as 4ohms on the chart. Do you think I could get a receiver that powers safely at a 6 ohm load? I am also looking at Denon and outlaw, which state that they power down to a 6 ohm load. Based on the impedence chart, could I go with a 6 ohm receiver? Or stick with the 4ohm?

MikeNg

Second Unit
That's a question I would pose to Denon and Outlaw. They probably rate those speakers at 4 to be on the conservative side. Same thing could be said about the amps on the Denon/Outlaw. Again, pop them a q just to be sure.

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
so to quote myself...

speaker resistance and amp loads are constantly changing. basically the better manufacturers are selling more expensive units and concerned about their reputation, so they put in better power supplies and rate the amps/ receivers conservatively. that means you can be sure they will deliver the rms watts with room to spare. there's nothing stopping a receiver that only has ratings at 8ohms from driving a 4ohm speaker.

the biggest issues in many ways will be the power supply and of couse the volume levels. the power supply basically is like a resevoir and it holds more power in it than the speakers will use most of the time. as the amp sends signal in the form of current from the power supply to the speakers, the power supply is constantly refilled. but if the speakers draw faster than the power supply can refill itself, something's gonna give. usually it will end with the clipping mentioned earlier. an amp may have a high power rating, but if the power supply can't keep up for very demanding (lots of bass at high volumes) passages, something will be compromised. this is actually the point where that variable speaker resistance can really matter. the lower the ohms the more power is drawn from the amp. so if you happen to have actual resistance of 3.5 ohms at 45 hz and there's a big peak in the signal at 45hz, that's going to suck a lesser power supply dry, or empty the resevoir, while a larger power supply will be happy and laughing, ready for the next big noise. a very unscientific way to find out about the power supply is to look at the weight or pick up the piece. good power supplies are heavy.

did that make sense? i was a little distracted... wives... anyway, the denon will drive your speakers comfortably to some level. the question is to what level and is that going to be loud enough for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks