What's new

recalibrate 56X81 when upgrading to prog. scan DVD? (1 Viewer)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
Howdy folks. It was mentioned to me in another forum that when I upgrade to prog. scan DVD (thinking of the Denon 2800) the 'ol X81 will need to be recalibrated. If true, I sure would like an explaination of why. Seems to me that since the X81 was calibrated using the service mode it shouldnt make a difference what DVD player is used.
Any enlightenment will be appreciated
thanks
------------------
The way of the Monkey is to play the Fool. While you laugh at his antics, he bites you from behind. Unmask his ego and you uncover a coward, disguised as a Monkey

Eliab

Agent
Even if you switched to another DVD player and outputted it to your TV via the s-video or composite output (480i), you may still need to recalibrate your set based on the fact that many DVD players output their signals slightly differently from one another.
Eliab
patriot.gif

------------------
Avical
ISF Certified Calibrations
www.Avical.com [email protected]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall if the X81 series locked into full mode when receiving a progressive signal. The problem created is that non-anamorphic discs will not be displayed with proper geometry - you normally would select another TheaterWide mode on your TV. Anamorphic discs, however, are unaffected as Full is the correct setting.
If so consider the following:
  • Choose a progressive player that has aspect ratio control, which squishes non-anamorphic discs such that Full becomes the correct choice of aspect ratio on the TV. The geometry will now be correct. I believe the 2800 includes this feature, but check to make sure.
  • For a progressive player without AR control you will need to connect both progressive and interlaced outputs, or (more commonly) connect once and choose progressive/interlaced from the player's menu. The latter is preferable as you a) maintain a component connection, and b) simply switch from the player vs. physically changing TV inputs.
For the second option most players will allow different calibrations for the interlaced and progressive outputs. So you would start with a "master" calibration using the progressive output, and then calibrate again using the player's offsets for the interlaced output. Once it's done you can forget about it and both calibrations will be automatically engaged depending on the mode selected (progressive for anamorphic, interlaced for non-anamorphic). But remember that this extra step would only be necessary if a) your TV in fact locks in full, and b) the player does not offer internal aspect ratio control.
Hope that helps to confuse the issue.
wink.gif

------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The X81 series does not have the lock in full problem when receiving a progressive signal.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks