What's new

Rear wall boomy bass problem (1 Viewer)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
It appears the the rear wall behind the listening postiion is producing a boomy bass. I intially moved my speakers (two hannel stereo) around trying to fix the problem but no matter where I put them, the boomy bass was still there. Finally I realized that if I moved my listen position away from the rear wall behind me, the boomyness dissappeared. So, I moved the couch 2 feet away from the rear wall and it sounds better but some boomyness is still there. I really need to move the couch out an additional 2 more feet but that is not possible.

Any ideas on how I can stop this? Thanks.

Ned

Supporting Actor
The rear wall may or may not be contributing to the boomy response, it just happens to be where the bass is "piling up" though. Try moving your speakers away from the wall more. If you have a subwoofer, experiment with its location also. Could you make a simple diagram of your layout and post it?

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Joe, are you using a sub? Can you list your equipment to better help diagnosing the problem? I would suggest purchasing the "Stereophile test CD#2 or 3"
They contain bass warble tones that will help take the guesswork out of speaker and subwoofer placement. There are better and more expensive ways to go but this is a good place to start. You can purchase these CD's for $15 at
www.acousticsounds.com
Good luck!:)

Joe Bauman

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your responses. Here is a more complete description of the room and equipment.

Room is 13 x 15 with speakers placed on the 13' wall. Speaker backs are about 2' out from front wall and 4' from each side wall. Speakers are floor standing Paradigm 60's and no sub is involved here. The listening position is about 2' away from the rear wall so it leaves about 9' between my head and the front of the speakers.

At this point, I don't have too much more flexability in moving things so I was hoping that placing or hanging something behind the couch would minimize the boomy sound.

Kind of a tough position I am in now. Any more thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Can you raise the 60's front to give a slight upward axis? Also, is the room reversible? I mean can you try them where your couch now sits and vice-versa?
Since you are open to trying something behind the sofa go
here and read this:
http://www.decware.com/focwhite.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks