What's new

Rear Surrounds (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Looking for a pair of inexpensive (ok...CHEAP) :) rear surrounds ONLY. Is there any difference between using speakers which are DESIGNATED as surround speakers and ordinary bookshelf speakers? Any input would be appreciated.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
There shouldn't be a difference, but I wonder if "surround speaker" is a hold over from the old DPL days when the rear speakers didn't have to be full range (20-20kHz)?? If so, you'd want to stay away from them.
I would just make sure that the rating on the speaker goes up to at least 20kHz and as low as you want it to go - most likely just below the crossover point for your sub.
For a suggestion, Best Buy has a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers (model SSM-B100H) on sale for $49.84 that are rated 80-50kHz. Don't think you can get much cheaper than that.
Rob
------------------
My Equipment

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't you just suggest the speakers go up to at least 20kHz yet you mention speakers which go to 50kHz. Unless I'm missing something here, I don't quite understand why?

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You won't hear anything over 20KHz anyway(unless you have the ears of a dog) so the #s above that don't really matter IMO. Others may say differently...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think the real question not asked here is, what are your mains? Ideally, cost irrespective, you want all your speakers to sound similar (timbre matched). This will give you the best sound all around. This often means similar or identical speakers from one manufacturer, so that construction, materials, driver types, x-overs, etc... are similar/same.
It's not REQUIRED, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
I agree with John. Voice-matching is the only way to go. Somebody said it best when they said if a truck goes bye in the movie you dont want to here there different types of vehicle. As far as answering your question about the polks those look great. I am currently using an old pair of Bostons for my surrounds to match my cr9's and crc and they sound great. So I think you would be just fine with those Polks.
------------------
Sorry about the previous Sig.
"Hell hath no fury like a womens scorn for sega."-Brodie Bruce
South Park season-by-season Again on DVD.
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks