Real World Seasons 2 & 3 on DVD - any plans?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bill Williams, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Has there been any word on when we will see the complete second and third seasons of The Real World on DVD from Paramount Home Video?

After all of these "extras" DVDs, followed by the season sets of the first season (New York) and one of the recent seasons (Las Vegas), it's got me wondering when we'll see both of the California seasons (Season 2: LA, Season 3: San Francisco), since those two were equally strong seasons as well.

Of course, the problems with the first season set stemmed from the whole issue of music licensing, which is why they had a non-descript instrumental score over every episode, and from the fact that each episode was not preserved in the original format in which they were shown on TV (footage from each episode had been deleted for the DVDs).

I'm thinking at least three discs per season should fit the bill, as long as they have some good extras included in each set. And for the third season set, they would have to include the follow-up special tribute to Pedro Zamora, who died at the end of the third season from AIDS.

Let's bring 'em on, Paramount!

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I did not buy either Las Vegas nor New York. I'm only interested in San Francisco. I really hope they release series 3 on DVD.

3. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I'd also like to see them pick up from Season 2. After releasing Las Vegas though, they could be concentrating on Paris before revisiting S2.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The possible problem I see with Season 2 is the fact that several times during the season, Jon Brennan would perform live versions of established songs, most notably Brooks and Dunn's "Boot Scoot Boogie" and Alan Jackson's "Here in the Real World". Would a series that allows one of its cast members to perform someone else's songs fall under the constraints of licensing fees?

As for Season 3, there's the concern of Mohammed Bilal's group Midnight Voices performing some of its music at a concert in one or two episodes. Since it's his music and not someone else's, would that be included or excluded in the music licensing fees?

I hope that when they do get around to releasing Seasons 2 and 3, that they keep the content of the episodes maintained as they were in the original broadcasts with no footage deleted for the DVD releases.

5. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

If they do get released, it probably will have all content, just not the original music.

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

These were live performances, so I don't see how they could replace them.