What's new

real world burn-in concerns... (1 Viewer)

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
All right, I know everyone says different things about burn-in. Never watch 4:3 on a 16:9 set without using a stretch, watch as much 4:3 as you want as long as you've been ISF'd, try to watch a combination, grey bars eliminate the chance of burn-in, etc. etc.
Ok, so what I want to know is, is there anybody out there with a widescreen tv who watches a significant amount of 4:3 material with the grey bars that has the burn-in. I know many who have said station logo's have burned (and tv station executives should be burned at the stake for their transgressions), but have the grey bars really burned in on anyone? I know some store models have, but they're running in torch mode 24-7 so I can understand that. If I buy a widescreen and tweak it with AVIA or VE and watch my 4 hrs a day of standard 4:3 programming will I definitely ruin my tv. Don't say I'll get used to the stretch, I don't want to get used to anything.
Unless someone says that this burn-in is nonsense (like some dealers, but they're trying to sell me a tv aren't they) I'm planning on buying a 4:3 RPTV with a raster compression mode like the Sony's.
Please no theoretical evidence, I know what is possible, I want to know what's really happening out there from people who own and live with widescreen sets.
------------------
zaphod
end of transmission...

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
I have seen many 16:9 RPTV's in that 8 month old range that have very apparent burn in even from just setting the contrast levels to 50%/40%.
It's real.
One guy thought he could get around that by using POP all the time. Burned the channel numbers and the pop outlines right into the screen.
You have to make compromises with both 4:3 and 16:9 sets. It's life ...
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi BradZ,
I have seen sets with burn-in. Very distracting.
I have also received a number of requests from owners who need help fixing burn-in on their sets.
So yes, it is very real.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV
Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator
My Sony 43T75 rptv is arriving tomorrow. {I know some people warned me of halo's and burn-in, but for the $1399 it was the only way to get enough screen real estate.} My question is should I avoid widescreen dvd's (because of the bars) or is there a work-around? I hope I don't have to avoid the dvd's.
Thanks in advance, Rob
------------------
Receiver: Onkyo 595
Speakers: Energy Encores
TV: TBA
DVD/CD: Panasonic RV-31

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
On a related note, Is there a "life-expectancy" for direct view sets?
I have a 36" WEGA (AVIA calibrated, not in torch mode) and it is usually on for about 10-16 hrs/day. In one year that's about 4,000 to 6,000 hours. Am I torturing the poor thing?
JB

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
See, this kind of stuff drives me crazy. I just bought a Tosh 65H80 two months ago and now I'm paranoid. I've calibarated my set w/ Avia and VE and I think my results gave me a contrast level somewhere b/w 40% & 50%. I use the stretch mode for 4:3, but when watching an anamorphic dvd , I watch it in full mode (w/ black bars) even if it has an OAR different than 16X9.
So is burn in right around the corner for me? If I watch Ben Hur or Cleopatra again am I gonna screw up my set?
Peace,
DM
------------------
"We all end up dead, the question is how and why."

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Don't get too worried. Just treat the thing responsibly and you will be fine.
Vary your viewing ... rotate the viewing.
If you watch 2.35:1 all the time ... then yes... burn in is a concern, ... but perhaps not ... because you watch 2.35:1 all the time so what does it matter. You won't notice anyway.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

GarrettM

Auditioning
What exactly is "burn in"? If it is an image "burned" into the screen from the crt's couldn't you just replace the screen? I don't know how practical this is, due to cost. I am looking at purchasing an rptv an this is an issue for me as well.
------------------

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Garret:
The image doesn't burn into the screen, it burns into the phosphours on the face of the CRTs. This means that the only way to repair burn-in is to replace the CRTs - a very expensive venture, and one that is not covered under any manufacturer's warranty.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

errol

Stunt Coordinator
No need to be overly concerned about this. Just as Michael recommended, vary the programs you watch. Make a conscious effort to watch various format programs.
We still leave our houses during the day even though we know that sunray are bad for us, right? =)
Here's a link to a graphic representation of burn-in.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
I,ve have a TW40x81 since the fall of 1999 that is still going strong, with no signs of burn-in at all. I watch at least 50% or more of the time with the gray bars on the sides.
------------------

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I don't know about the grey bar issue as I watch everything in TheaterWide mode. It's a combination of stretch/crop and I don't notice it at all. The picture looks perfectly normal to me. Nor did I have to "get used to it". I turned it on when I got the set and it's always looked fine.
As for DVDs and black bars burning in... Well, I've had my set for almost a year - not quite - but have watched thousands of hours worth of movies. We watched a couple of movies almost every night the first few months we had it. Now it sees at least 3 to 5 per week. It's not burnt in at all.
I bought the extended warranty and was promised by the people at Best Buy that it does cover burn in. So, take that for what it's worth.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )

Bill Millar

Auditioning
Well while we're talking about burn ins, I have the Dish player with web-tv built in. I have a 53" Sony TV and you can see where the web-tv screen image is burned in, as web-tv uses a smaller screen when I'm online but I have had my TV now for 5 years and web-tv for 3 years.
Yes the burn in is on the crt's and not the screen.
Bill

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
No need to be overly concerned about this. Just as Michael recommended, vary the programs you watch. Make a conscious effort to watch various format programs.
We still leave our houses during the day even though we know that sunray are bad for us, right? =)
Here's a link to a graphic representation of burn-in.
Thanks,
Errol
Errol,
I think those graphics are incorrectly demonstrating phosphor burn....The way I understand it, is that the black bar areas should be BRIGHTER than the area where the image was, since they didn't get as much wear as the image in the center of the CRT's.... This is exactly the opposite which is depicted in those graphics....
-Ryan Dinan
------------------
variablehumpy.gif

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ryan,
Good point. I was trying to highlight the affected area by graying it out. I've reversed it per your suggestion.
BTW, I was toying with the idea of taking a pix of a unit with a bad case of burn-in from a local dealer but decided against it. I may still do that since I've got a miniDV.
Thanks,
Errol
------------------
Keohi HDTV

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks