What's new

Reading Toshiba A-35 Manual. What the heck does this mean? (1 Viewer)

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Got a new A-35 recently and one reason I got it was for the supposed bitstream output of DTS-MA. Was reading the manual when I came across this. What the heck does core only for DTS-HD mean? No real DTS-MA support? Someone please help explain this as there is not too much material to test this out with. And I'm sure hoping it doesn't mean that it does not totally support all DTS bitstreams.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
dts is built in a layered structure-- a core containing a basic run of the mill dts stream, and extensions supporting extended resolution (dts 96/24), a discrete rear channel (dts es discrete), or lossless audio (dts hd master audio).

"Core only" means that only the basic, run of the mill dts 5.1 soundtrack gets decoded. You won't get the benefits of a lossless encode, unless you have a dts master audio compatible receiver.

In oder to get this full dts-master audio bitstream, use "Auto" and then enable "Digital Direct Audio Mode"

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy that is what i was hoping to hear. While not really clear from the attached picture. (Attached the biggest one I could) it mentions that when it is hooked up by HDMI that you only got DTS-HD (core only) no mention of it being decoded on-board or bitstreamed out. And no mention anywhere in the manual that it will do full DTS-HD by bitstream.

Orlando

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeremy

Just looked at it and while a little ambiguous when compared to the HDMI core only line earlier in the manual. Reading it knowing it works you can infer that is what it is trying to say. It was just that no where in the manual is it specific that you only get core when you internal decode and you get full DTS-HD external.
But now that I know it works I feel better. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks