What's new

Re-setting DMA mode back on HDD (1 Viewer)

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I'm running XP pro and after a swap to a larger drive (6 months ago) now I can’t properly record, lots of noises and tracks play very fast, Device Management shows HDD on PIO lock mode, MS recommends un-installing/re-installing the Device but I’m not sure if I should do that with Device 0, This post http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=dma addresses the problem but will this fix work for HDDs?.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Where do you see if it's in PIO mode or not? In device manager I see 4 tabs for my HD (Location 0): General, Policies, Volumes, Driver.

Unistalling sounds like a good plan. Next boot up the system should reset all the settings for it and none of your data should be lost.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Control panel > system > hardware > device management > IDE/ATA controllers > primary IDE channel > properties > advance settings .

Transfer mode = DMA if available
Current transfer Mode =PIO, and it can’t be switched to ‘Ultra DMA” .

I don’t know if this will fix my problem but I suspect this drive (Maxtor ATA 100) in this mode can’t keep up with the signal input.

Apparently this is a common issue and MS has a easy ‘fix’ coming soon they say.

are you sure? I haven't mess around to much with XP yet but it sounds scary to uninstall device 0 with my only HDD attached.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
I've done it in the past with no problems. Uninstall your primary controller and windows will redetect it when you reboot and then ask you to reboot again after it "finds new hardware". Then check your settings and hopefully it'll be in DMA 5 mode.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Thanks guys , it works fine now,back to Ultra DMA 5 Mode, I also reset the second channel where the DVD player and CDR unbeknown to me were also in PIO mode. I'll keep an eye on this parameters from now on.

Now I just need to reactivate and format the second HDD that used to be my main (drive C). Xp is installed here too, and I was told that this drive may cause a conflict, with my existing 'C'; If I install this drive as 'slave' or 'cable detect' will XP detect it and prompt me to format it? or do I have to go thru the install (XP CD)process?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Having both drives hooked up shouldn't cause a conflict, but it could. Plug it in a boot up and see what happens. After booting, in Windows Explorer, check your files and make sure your PC did indeed boot from your new hard drive. Then select your second(old XP install) drive and right click and select format and you should be good. If you do have a booting problem, put only the old drive in your PC along with your Windows XP CD. Boot from the CD and start the install. When you come to the point to choose where to install XP it should show you your drive. Select D to delete the partition and then L to erase. You could then select the unpartitioned space and format it. Kill the install by shutting down the PC and put your new drive back in and the old as a slave and you should boot no prob. Then I'd reformat it in Windows.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Having both drives hooked up shouldn't cause a conflict, but it could. Plug it in a boot up and see what happens. After booting, in Windows Explorer, check your files and make sure your PC did indeed boot from your new hard drive. Then select your second(old XP install) drive and right click and select format and you should be good. If you do have a booting problem, put only the old drive in your PC along with your Windows XP CD. Boot from the CD and start the install. When you come to the point to choose where to install XP it should show you your drive. Select D to delete the partition and then L to erase. You could then select the unpartitioned space and format it. Kill the install by shutting down the PC and put your new drive back in and the old as a slave and you should boot no prob. Then I'd reformat it in Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks