What's new

Re-editing flops for DVD (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've always believed that the version that gets distributed as the final release print to theaters is THE version of a movie, and what I want to see- nothing added, cut or changed. Of course it's OK to have ADDITIONAL versions of a movie available, just as there are "remixed" versions of songs, but the theatrical version should always be available. With DVD's capability there's simply no reason not to include the theatrical version, and I won't knowingly buy a movie that's been altered. I would have bought Battlefield Earth on DVD as it's a true bad-movie classic, but since it was re-edited for DVD I haven't bought it. I haven't bought Star Wars either.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

And they didn't even make back $35M, since they had to split that with theaters. The studio probably got back about $20M in rentals.

And I don't believe re-editing can make that much of a difference. If people just aren't interested in the premise of your film, they won't buy it no matter how it's edited.

Stone can edit "Alexander" six ways to sunday, I still won't want to see it.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Reminds me of Highlander II. I was talking to a guy at work about the original cut, with all the planet Zeist stuff in it, and found out he had never seen that verson of the film. He's only seen the "Renagade Cut" that came out later. He's actually curious to see the original cut to see how much of a train wreck it was.

Now, how many people are going to argue for THAT? :D

Jason

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Natural Born Killers is available both ways, though they should have them both on the same disc. This is a strange case as Warner puts out the theatrical version and Trimark put out the director's cut version.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
I think Warner only put out the R rated version because (at least at the time) they refused to release NC-17 or unrated films on DVD. It's the same reason why Eyes Wide Shut is only R-rated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks