What's new

RCA HD-DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In Sunday's sale ads, I noticed a small ad (in Best Buy or Circuit City; I can't remember now which one) selling an RCA HD-DVD player!

Back at the beginning of the HD-DVD announcements, I remember that RCA was going to produce a player but then never read anything else about it.

Is there really such a machine and, if so, why hasn't the HD-DVD camp been making more noise about it?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It was given due attention in the HD DVD owners subforum. The HD DVD "camp", generally never makes very much "noise".

But as soon as it is mentioned somewhere, a BD-supporter will step in and stress the fact that it was manufactured by Toshiba, and thus "nothing but a rebatched HD-A1".

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Does this mean, since Pioneer is manufacturing the Sony BD player, that the Sony is just a rebadged Pioneer?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
If Pioneer does the R&D work, makes their own player with the same design and then makes cosmetic changes with Sony badges, is it? How different is the RCA from HD-A1? What I have heard they are nearly identical machines.

I have the A1 and possibly have the RCA version coming my way. How much difference should I expect if you ignore the looks?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

I wasn't aware of this, where did this information come from?

I'd say that it would need to have the exact same internals to qualify as a "rebadged" player. The RCA machine and the A1 are identical units on the inside.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
I am curious - Does anyone know if the RCA comes with the 2.0 firmware preinstalled since it is a rebadged Toshiba? If not would you be able to upgrade the firmware the same way as the Toshiba? I ask because my local WalMart (of all places) has several of these players for $448 on the shelf, with 3 free HD DVD movies (in-store I believe) and I have a $50 giftcard to WalMart so the "buy-in" price is substantially better for me on this unit than the Toshiba...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Actually, I think the RCA has a different feature set. At least the brouchre sates such.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
I'm seeing the Toshiba HD-A1 and RCA HD-DVD players for sale in my area. Seeing how the the HD-A1 is no longer in production, would it be safe getting the RCA player? If the RCA has essentially the same specs (5.1 audio outputs is what I'm looking for) and I can find it cheaper than the HD-A1, would this be a decent buy?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

If it is a rebadged Toshiba as many are saying, it shouldn't be a problem. But I have heard that the updates are a lot slower getting to the user than the Toshiba.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

It is the same board as the A1 and XA1, the only difference is that they added the RS232 to the RCA and the Toshiba A1 doesn't have it.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
I guess that's my dilemma - not knowing if the HD-A1 updates are incorporated into the RCA player. And if not, then I'd prefer the HD-A1, especially if there might be issues getting updates from RCA.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Maybe because these are different manufacturers, that the firmware updates don't specifically coincide version number wise, but still have the same functionality?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The RCA is a Toshiba in a different wrapper. The firmware is interchangeable. No maybe about it.

Ron Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron Z
Well, it seems like there's conflicting information on this, according to a posting in the HD-DVD forum.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Do a search on the subject at AVS Forum. Lots of info there. This is rather old news.

Dave W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info all... Looks like you can use the Toshiba firmware updates on the RCA via CD-R and not via direct download but, thats fine by me. Also, Circuit City now has this player on sale for $379 AR so is an even better deal at WalMart (for me) with the price match :)

Just a note: Remember for price matches at WalMart they will need a copy of the ad so print out the webpage or whatever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks