What's new

RCA Component Input? (1 Viewer)

Neil2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Niekerk
The Panasonic TV, model:TC-P50X3 has both HDMI inputs and RCA Compoent inputs. I want to connect two older devices, a VCR and a DVD player. I have RCA Component cables running from the VCR and DVD outputs to the Yamaha receiver and the RCA Component output from the Yamaha to the TV.

The result is no sound or no picture.

What is the sweet way to make VCR tapes play through an amp and then into a TV? (I'm feeling like a dinosaur).

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What is the model of the receiver?

Typically, this is how video flows through a receiver:

HDMI input -------------------> HDMI Monitor out
Component input -----------> Component Monitor out
Composite input ------------> Composite Monitor out

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The model numbers of the vcr, dvd player and Yamaha receiver would be helpfull.

For the dvd player you may have to go into the setup menu and select "Component" as the video output. You may also have to assign Component to the DVD Input on the receiver.

My knowledge of vcr's is fuzzy at best but I don't recall any of them with component outputs. Did you mean the yellow composite connection?

Component (red, green, blue) is video only so you would need an additional digital or analog connection for audio.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Gene is right. Most VCRs had either a single RCA (composite) output and two stereo RCA outs (Left/White & Right/Red). Maybe some had S-Video outs. You may need run the VCR to the receiver via composite and go to the TV via HDMI from the receiver.

Neil2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Niekerk
After playing around a few days with mixed success
The Yamaha amp (receiver) is model:
HTR-5750 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5750_silver__u/?mode=model)
It has a component block of 2 in and 1 out at the rear. Click the rear panel thumbnail to see it. And + to enlarge.
The DVD Player is:
Coby DVD-528B (has component red blue green) outs.
the VCR-DVD combo is a (http://www.be.washington.edu/Resources/Computing/Manuals/Samsung-DVD-VR330-manual.pdf)
Samsung DVD-VR330 (has component: red blue green) outs
The Samsung has the Audio option of bitstream or PCS. I have tried both but hear nothing. The Yamaha manual and tech support haven't been much help in explaining the problem.
I have component cables from the Samsung and Coby to the Yamaha and from the Yamaha to the component inputs on the TV. The Coby DVD plays and I hear sound but the Samsung plays a VHS tape but there is no sound. The DVD section/player cannot play a DVD and all I want is the VHS player anyway.
There are two optical audio cables from the Coby and Samsung to the optical inputs on the Yamaha. There is one optical cable from the Yamaha to the Panasonic. (http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50X3)
With only the Coby DVD player cabled plugged in, i.e., the r-g-b and optical audio, the Coby DVD's play and I can hear the sound. If I plug the Samsung r-g-b cables into the Yamaha, the sound on the Coby disappears. The Coby DVD cables are plugged into the DVD block on the back of the Yamaha. The optical cable goes into #3 on the back of the Yamaha. The Samsung goes into "B" of component video, and the optical goes into MD/CD-R. I hope I have given enough info this post. Thank you all who replied already.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, you can't see the vcr through the component output. That's for the dvd side of the combo. You need to hook the s-video or composite (yellow) connection to the tv. You may also need a seperate audio connection (red and white) to hear the audio from the vcr. The vcr and dvd player may be in the same unit but they usually need seperate audio and video connections. But I don't have much experience with these combo's so I could be wrong.

Hook the Samsung dvd player to the receiver with an optical connection. Hook the component output of the Samsung to the tv's component input. Assign the audio to whichever input you choose on the Yamaha (DVD, Video 1, etc). Select this input on the Yamaha to hear the Samsung. You will also need to change the input on the tv to the Component input. for the video.

Hook the vcr to the receiver with red and white audio cables and the s-video (or composite) output to the tv's s-video/composite input. Assign the audio to another input on the Yamaha. Switch the tv's input to s-video/composite to watch the vcr. The reason you must switch inputs on the tv is the Yamaha doesn't do s-video/composite to component up-conversion.

The main issue for you is the the dvd/vcr combo doesn't transmit audio from the optical output when watching a vcr, only a dvd. You need the red/white audio cables to hear the vcr side.

Neil2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Niekerk
The Samsung's A-V outs were plugged into the Yamaha's in's and then the A-V out from the Yamaha was plugged into the A-V of the TV. The Yamaha's input selector was set to VCR. It worked perfectly until, in an experiment, I powered up the Coby DVD player and set the Yamaha's Input to DVD-Auto. Now there is sound from either the VHS or the DVD but no picture from either. To recap, the Coby DVD player has component cables and a optical audio. The Samsung has only A-V cables from it, to the amp, to the TV. (As a small aside, the Samsung's DVD player is not working, maybe a new motor or laser ass'y. I'm unsure).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So the problem is, you selected multi-channel input...and can't figure out how to exit multi-channel.Press multi-channel to turn it on and off.

Neil2013

Auditioning
Real Name
Neil Niekerk
With the VHS playing, the Yamaha set to "VCR" and the tape playing, I pressed Multi-Channel several times, but I still see no picture. The DVD player is no powered "on".

The TV on-screen selection mode shows:

ANT/Cable - HDMI1 - HDMI2 (computer) - Component (DVD) and Video (IS GREYED OUT).

I have now powered up the DVD. I can hear the sound but no video. I have tried switching Multi-Channel on and off several times. When Multi-Channel is on, there is no sound and no picture. When Multi is off, there is sound. With either the VHS or the DVD.

PS - The Samsung's rear panel has outputs for either the DVD or the VHS. Both signals would come from one set of cables, whether A-V, Component, s-video or L-R sound. The unit outputs to only one source from either the DVD or the VHS, never both at the same time. The VHS/DVD is selectable on the remote & front panel. It does have inputs (s-video and A-V only) to allow the recording on dvd or tape from an external source. Thanks.

Attachments

• samsung vr330 real panel.png
    samsung vr330 real panel.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 103
  • yamaha htr-5750 back panel blowup.png
    yamaha htr-5750 back panel blowup.png
    774.3 KB · Views: 131
  • panasonic real panel.png
    panasonic real panel.png
    49.8 KB · Views: 59

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks