What's new

RCA caps of tinfoil? (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I was reading on another forum and in one of the threads they pointed to a website that talked about shortining your RCA inputs to remove stary EMI/RFI that can leak into open RCA inputs. They also mentioned about RCA caps, but at $32US for tweleve and my receiver has a lot of inputs would using tinfoil wraped around the input do the same thing as the cap?

Kevin

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
This is one of those scenarios that may have a benefit but it's highly dependent upon how your unit was constructed and whether you have a large EMI/RFI problem to begin with. This was more a problem several decades ago. One of the reasons you don't see such things is that there's no market demand for them. What Cardas has done is basically created a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for most of humanity.
Certainly keeping unused connections makes for keeping the innards cleaner and that's not a bad thing in and of itself but as you've seen, this comes at a bit of a price.
The problem with wrapping aluminum foil around the unused caps is that it's not the most secure connection and you run the risk of it falling off and touching things it shouldn't be.
If you're hell bent on these, I'd see if anyone on ebay or audiogon is selling them or something similar for less. Their greatest benefit, and it ain't all that much, is keeping things inside relatively contaminant free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks