What's new

Rawhide (1 Viewer)

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
If it's going to be 10 months between releases, what is it going to be, 10 years before we see the complete series, if ever? That's ridiculous.

I really wish with shows like Gunsmoke and Rawhide, if they don't want to put them on the Western Channel, that they'd go the Time/Life route and have them available as complete series by mail order.

S

silverking

Excellent news. On the whole Paramount do try & give vintage series a fair shake.

Suspect 'Big Valley' 'Cheyenne' & possibly 'Alias Smith & Jones' may have gone though. Curious that Paramount can release their material & presumably show some profit but the others can't.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Chris, agreed . . . . Paramount is far, far ahead of the other major studios when it comes to releasing pre-1970, vintage TV-on-DVD. None of the other major studios are even remotely close. While Paramount isn't perfect (split season releases, episode omissions, i.e., "Hawaii Five-0," season 2, potential music replacement, etc.), they really seem to cater to the vintage fan much better than all of the other major studios combined.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

AMEN, AMEN, and AMEN! We've talked about this very subject at length, but it bears repeating after today's news item concerning "RAWHIDE." Paramount is just the best. Really. They are the cat's meow; the big cheese; the head honcho; the tops!!!!

Thank you again - CBS/PARAMOUNT.

Gary "I was a tad worried about this series falling through the cracks - but Paramount has come through yet again" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Chris,

That is a very good question. If Paramount can do it, what's the problem with the other major studios?

Bob, you were lightning-fast on the "draw" posting that TSoD link :emoji_thumbsup: Reminds me of a "Rowdy" quick-draw
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
I was heading to HTF to paste that link but "The early Bird Gets The Worm"
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Great news about this series continuing.

Jeff "Just when we may think that a series was heading into the Black Hole of abandonment, Surprise, Surprise" W.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I sometimes give Paramount a hard time with their decision to go the split season route and their lethargic follow-up schedule to prior releases, but thank goodness there is one major studio at least that is making a concerted effort to get the classics out. This is wonderful news about "Rawhide" as it is becoming a firm favorite for me in my vintage collection. Here's hoping that S2 vol. 2 sells well enough that we'll see S3 at least come out.

Some of the notable guests for the remaining 15 episodes of S2: Francis Bavier, John Dehner, Charles Aidman, Patricia Barry, Hugh Marlowe, Buddy Ebsen, Paul Picerni, Warren Oates, Anthony Caruso, Cloris Leachman, Chris Alcaide (OK, you don't know him, but he always plays a great 'heavy'), Whit Bissell, R.G. Armstrong, Ed Nelson, James Franciscus, Werner Klemperer and John Hoyt.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Mike,

10-4 on this one for me as well. I've been going through the RH sets faster than I normally do for a set, along with another one that you guys "infected me" with here....(Fugitive) :laugh:

That guest cast is awesome for this volume. When I'm watching these era's shows, it's great to see this caliber of guests in these series.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
It is great news. I did have fears that Rawhide would go the way of Big Valley and end with a Season 2, Volume 1 release.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Great minds think along parallel lines, Jeff--check what I just wrote in the "Fugitive" thread before reading your post here.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

Really a fine character actor, with many television credits, especially during the 1950s and 1960s. I first came across Mr. Alcaide in a couple of episodes of "U.S. Marshal" and, yes, he was a heavy in those episodes as I recall. He was one of many fine actors during the golden years whose face you would remember, but not necessarily his name . . . . Harry Lauter was another of those actors. These actors seemed to work all the time in episodic television of the era, but never seemed to star in a series.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I just saw him in a S2 episode of "Wanted Dead or Alive" and he was customarily surly in that one. Chris appeared in several "Rifleman" episodes and was especially creepy in the two part "Wyoming Story" where he bore a long and chilling scar across his face. Harry Lauter is a new one for me...have to look him up. And yes, these character actors were the unsung workhorses of the industry back in the golden era, Bob--multitudes of talent with so little recognition over the course of their careers. Kind of the opposite of what you see today.

S

silverking

I think Harry Lauter co-stared in 'Tales of the Txas Rangers'.

He & Chris Alcaide, a very nice guy offscreen by all accounts, along with John Dehner, Robert Wilke (he of the permanent sneer) Lane Bradford ,John Doucette,John Pickard & a host of others were the backbone of early TV drama.Unusual to see an episode of anything from this period without a few familiar faces.

As for Rawhide S2 v2, once again a number of gems included. Incident of the Sharpshooter' good story with the great Jock Mahoney playing against type as a smooth villain.' Incident of Arana Sacar' in which the herd disappears,two dark episdodes 'Incident of the 100 Amulets' features witchcraft & 'Incident of the Murder Steer' strange deaths on the drive.Also included is one of the most exciting segments of the whole run 'Incident of the Champagne Bottles' in which Gil & Rowdy have to transport a wagonload of nitro-glycerine across rough country, the 'Wages of Fear' out west.Looking forward to it & Rawhide fans who purchased the earlier sets won't be disappointed.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

So true, as I just saw an episode of "Wanted Dead or Alive" last night featuring John Dehner, radio's 'Paladin'.

Thanks for the rundown of some episodes to look forward to in vol. 2. By the way, you were spot on regarding "Incident of the Haunted Hills", "...Buffalo Smokehouse" and "...Blue Fire" earlier--three highly enjoyable segments from vol. 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks