What's new

Raves Continue! The absolute best animated comedy series: THE FAMILY GUY - A must buy! (1 Viewer)

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
I kept Ron's effusive praise of Family Guy in the back of my mind and finally got around to renting these discs this weekend. Though I've only seen six episodes at this piont, I have to agree with Ron: the show is bloody hysterical!

The comic timing is superb and the gags are a killer. I will have to purchase this set and the imminent "Volume 2" (Season 3) for sure. It's too good.

Thanks (belatedly) for the recommendation, Ron. I don't believe I would have taken a look at this show without your comments.

Kev A.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh man, what a high!

I am so elated to read that many of you took
my advice, bought the season set blindly, and
love this show as much as the rest of the world
does.

Anyone that STILL won't take my recommendation
and buy FAMILY GUY blind should consider this

If what I have read is accurate (and I am sure I
will be corrected)...

The cartoon is the highest rated show on
the Cartoon Network.

Family Guy occasionally pulls in BETTER
ratings in its time slot than LENO or LETTERMAN.

The shows have been so successful on DVD and
The Cartoon Network that a direct-to-DVD movie
is now in the works.

If you have yet to see this show, I advise you
to at least rent a disc, watch it and then be
prepared to buy it.

My original review:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/rons...familyguy.html

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
p.s. Bonus points for the one who can identify the "Febtober" and "Smarch" references first.
Febtober would be the Sean Connery's answer to the category on Celebrity Jeopardy aptly named "Months That Start With Feb".

Tuesday will be TV on DVD heaven for me and probably many of you. 24 and FG all in the same day. Oh baby, oh baby.

P.S.
Ron, would you ever consider doing a special, one-time-only, comeback review for Family Guy: Volume 2? Seeing as how it's your favorite animated comedy series and all it would be great if you could give us just one more taste of sweet Epstein DVD review goodness.

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Is there anything all of us can do to try and bring this series back?

Right now the second volume is #3 on Amazon.com's top seller list and volume one is #18. As you said it is the "highest rated show on Cartoon Network." I cannot believe Fox doesn't see this as a sign that the series is liquid gold!

Talk about all time bone-head decisions. :angry:

(at least we get Temptation Island 3, Paradise Hotel, Joe Millionaire 2, etc...way to go FOX!!! :rolls eyes: )

Joel C

Screenwriter
Futurama and Family Guy are both geat shows, and both get great ratings on TBS and Cartoon Network. And both were unjustly canceled by Fox.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is there anything all of us can do to try and bring this series back?
Always a method to my madness.

Why do you think I labeled this thread with
heralding title?

I want to turn people on to this series. I
also want Fox to read what's here and consider the
property they mishandled (the TV division, that is).

As for a return of the series? Looks like that's
about to happen as many recent articles suggest.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
There is also (apparently) some SERIOUS talk about Cartoon Network ordering ANOTHER SEASON OF EPISODES of not only Family Guy but Futurama (and perhaps one or two '13ep wonders' as well). The Futurama/Family Guy ratings are not just the highest for the network, but in some of the key demographics HIGHER THAN ANY 'NETWORK' (read ABC/CBS/NBC).

Don't just buy the DVD's ...

WRITE CARTOON NETWORK AND TELL THEM MORE! MORE! MORE!

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Futurama would be quite expensive by Cartoon Network standards, but I think we have a shot with Family Guy.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I have been critical of Fox TV's handling of many shows (including Futurama, Family Guy, and the live-action Tick) in the past. Certain naysayers, even in this forum, have told me that I just don't understand the business.

Fox needs to take a page from Cartoon Network's book. Those guys down in Georgia know how to identify a quality show and then promote it effectively.

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
I believe I read somewhere that they already have the scripts for 6 or 7 episodes of Season 4 done?

Wait!

Here:

Perhaps Cartoon Network WILL pick them up :D

Angel Pagan

Second Unit
I also purchased this blindly based on Ron's review and I'm halfway through the set. It's absolutely hilarious. I agree with Ron that there is at LEAST one gut-busting moment in every episode. Can't wait to pick up V.2 tomorrow. :emoji_thumbsup:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Ron, you're absolutely right. I was one of those people who loved the show, but could never find it on FOX, since it was hardly ever in a steady time-slot.

I adore the DVD collections, and am proud to display them. Anyone who hasn't picked them up NEEDS to do it this week. there will be some great deals on getting both sets at Best Buy (check Dave's roundup, people!). I have mine ordered from Amazon (with a link through HTF, of course) and it should be on my doorstep tomorrow!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I notice that all negative comments seem to have been removed from this thread.
(EDIT: Sorry, I'm partly wrong: Some of the negative comments are still there, but others were removed.)

This is (IMO) totally inappropriate, since a thread that encourages people to buy a set should not be tossing out comments by people who take the opposite view (that the show is not so hot).

So I'll stubbornly say again that -- and I should add that this is all IMO of course -- Family Guy had mediocre writing, terrible character designs and inexpressive animation, a poor sense of story structure, and characters of little or no interest (except for Stewie, who is a ripoff of a far better show, Pinky and the Brain). I like MacFarlane's obsession with musicals and I enjoy the obscure pop-culture refs, but that's all the show had. I think a good sitcom actually has, you know, character comedy and good stories and stuff. And I think that Fox didn't treat it so very badly (for a show that got terrible reviews and didn't appeal to a wide segment of the audience -- it's purely a cult show, which is what makes it successful on DVD and cable, where cult appeal is enough). They treated Futurama, which actually had good reviews and one or two actual characters, far worse (and I wasn't a big fan of Futurama, but Fox did give it less of a chance than FG). And I must admit I just don't understand the Family Guy cult at all. I look at it, it's sometimes amusing, but it's not that good IMO. I never feel like I've seen anything even vaguely new; I feel like I've spent a half-hour with some kid who thinks he's funny because he's seen the same old commercials I have.

Ryan*Pr*

Agent
I agree with all the raves that everyone else has for the show. I can't believe it is getting such good TV ratings (over the big networks!). Now my girlfriend needs to get cable in her apartment - boo. I have been anticipating tomorrow's release for a while now.

Tuesday, Sept. 9th is the day I celebrate my escape from my mother's wretched womb. (I hope I got that close to a quote.;) )

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
cult at all
I guess it's all a matter of opinion. I can understand that Family Guy isn't everyone's cup of tea. Personally I really enjoy it. On the other hand, I found everything about Futurama to be so annoying that it was completely unwatchable. I don't understand the Futurama cult at all. Different strokes... and all that.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'm on the waiting list for Volume 1 at the library. But based on all the overwhelming (and seemingly unanimous) praise, I was considering a blind purchase of Volumes 1+2 tomorrow. But now, thanks to Jaime's insights, I think I will be patient and wait to view the library's copy first. And being a big Futurama fan, Dave's comments also give me pause on Family Guy.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Martin,
If you get Cartoon Network you could always watch a few episodes before you decide whether to buy or not.

Also...just speaking for myself, but I love both Futurama and Family Guy.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
To Jaime:

I don't think ANY negative comments were removed from this thread; perhaps you are thinking of negative posts that were in the original multi-page thread, that is, Ron's original review?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks