What's new

rating movies (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I've recently registered at the IMDB and have been voting on movies I've recently seen. I like discussing movies with people I know and have no problem expressing how much I liked a movie in words but I am finding it very difficult to simply express my feelings towards a movie as a single number.
Its not a problem for things I love (like Saving Private Ryan or Boogie Nights) or hate (Candy) but when a movie had both good and bad points I find it hard to find a number than expresses it. I try to justify the number by using an example of something good or bad but then I have to decided if bad production values mar an otherwise good film (Keving Smith's early work) that I thought was hilarious. What if the acting and directing suck but it was so funny I couldn't stop laughing (Mallrats); it was a comedy and the point was to make me laugh. Is that enough?
I guess I'm going to have to make a list of the criteria for being in each rating number from one to ten. For somethings that I really didn't like I find it hard to give a low score.
jeremy

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You could try making a scale of 1-10 for different aspects, such as Acting, Directing, Production Values, etc. and include a value for Genre Accomplishment (if a film was a comedy, was it truly funny? If so, then it gets a better number). Then, you could make each of the aspects be a certain percentage of the overall number grade of the film, such as Production Values being worth more than say Makeup. You might also want to include a Tilt score so that you can increase the grade of a film based on how you liked it or if you think it deserves a better number.
Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks