What's new

Rate your own speakers...honestly! (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

The Sonicap upgrade is money well spent, I highly recommend it. Believe it or not, the Sonicaps actually bring out even more detail in the midrange. Damn fine speakers either way. :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
John, would you care to elaborate on the "sonicap"?
The midranges, as stated earlier, are kinda weak, so I wouldn't mind a nice fix ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sonicaps are high quality capacitors (for crossover networks), specifically tailored to the audio market. The "upgrade" in this case, is offered by GR to replace the capacitors in the standard crossovers they offer, and are specific to each speaker design. A few of the speakers cannot be purchased without them. The upgrade is offered for those who purchased their speakers prior to the availability of the upgrade, or who simply did not opt for them and their added expense.

While it could be done with enough time and effort, I would not recommend trying this type of upgrade on your Polks. It would require a lot of research on the x-over, and at the end may not give you the improvement you are looking for. Not to mention Sonicaps are not all that inexpensive (the upgrade is $100/pr for the GRs). Long term, I think you will want to consider new speakers, at least for the front 3. You should be able to sell the Polks for a decent price still on E-bay and such.

If you are interested in the speakers, shoot Danny at GR an e-mail, and see if you can schedule a demo pair to be sent out to you. It won't cost you much, and it is very much worth it.

Another thing to consider is to play with the placement and isolation of your speakers. It can make a big difference.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The GRs are all available in various stages of kit form, in which case you can build the entire speaker yourself if you choose, or you can order them completely assembled. If you can solder decently (and you have a some free time :D ), these speakers are very easy to build.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Really? How decently? I rewired my DDR pad w/ a new controller PCB, is that good enough? Do you possibly have any websites that could just show me whats involved and the pack prices? Sounds fun!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
www.gr-research.com :emoji_thumbsup:

I am, by no means, a master of soldering, but I did the update on mine, which equates roughly to building them myself, since I had to essentially completely disassemble them. It WAS fun. :D

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
great idea for a thread! incredibly informative for anyone wanting a comprehensive guide to hometheater speakers and setups.

i'll chime in with my gear. i'm currently running a 5.1 setup, and planning on adding a 6th channel.

note: i recently switched from a marantz 5200 to an HK 330. i found that with my speaker combination of energy's, the sound was quite "bright". i also upgraded my subwoofer from a sound dynamics RTS 1000 10" to an SVS PCi 25-31[22Hz].

Harman Kardon AVR 330 [7x55watts@8ohms]
Harmon Kardon PA5800 [5x85@8ohms, 5x110@4ohms]

Energy Audissey 2+2 - Fronts/Rear Channels:

http://energy-speakers.com/audissey/..._a2%2B2_09.jpg

these high gloss, piano finished topped, bipolar speakers are rated @ 6ohm and demand good clean power. their imaging, and literal attention to audio detail is remarkable. the soundstage is transparent, yet full; omni directional in its scope, and subtle in its execution.

Energy AC-300 - Center Channel:

http://energy-speakers.com/surround/...s_ac300_09.jpg

this is a very robust center channel. dialogue is clear, and clean. natural. while watching a stand up comedy dvd, i had a guest remark that the comic may as well be in the room. voice was that precise.

SVS 25-31[22Hz tune] PCi Sub

http://svsubwoofers.com/images/sub_cs_25-31.jpg

'nuff said :D

note: all specs for above equipment can be found @ each company's respective website. i'm in canada, so i'm unaware of the availability of energy products down south.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael.
Energy always seemed to be a "I wonder" brand to me.
I really wish I could audition them.
Good to hear you enjoy them.
You bi-amp them w/ your 2 stated amps I assume?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Nice thread. Not too often, if at all, people critique their own system.

I'll give it a go.

L-R-C fronts: Von Schweikert LCR-15's. Not a bookshelf by any means, but I do have them mounted on stands. They are accurate down 40hz. The VSA's replaced Paradigm Ref Studios 40's and a CC center. Now, I always liked the Paradigms Refs but these are a cut above. My reasoning for the swap? I wanted smoother and more accurate HF's. No dig here against the Digms. But the VSA sound has a completely different design criteria and an absolutely radically different material composition from the Paradigms

Result? I love their imaging (big-time!) the smooth mids, and the highly accurate upper end with NO hint of raspy harshness. Damn accurate speakers. Best I have heard for $525. ea (which was what I paid per speaker from a dealer).

Surrounds: Von Schweikert VR-1's. These speakers are a new design for VSA and seem to be the latest buzz for a budget bookshelf without spending bucks. I bought these to replace some old Paradigm ADP 350 Monitors. I wanted direct firing and figured VSA was the choice (ok, I was already thinking months in advance that I was going to sell off my Paradigms and the VR-1's were going to be auditioned as L-R MAINS before they were placed as surrounds)They were auditioned as mains and (don't swear at me) they kicked my 40's ass out of the room.

At that point the 40's were sold, along with the ADP 350's and the CC Ref center. Total damage: the entire sale of the Paradigms vs purchase of the 5 new VSA speakers was $700. Not too bad for a serious upgrade. Pays to buy out of Canada and resell in the US ;*)

SUB: Just bought a new (2 weeks old) HSU VTF-2 subwoofer. It is a major improvement over the Def Tech PF15 15" SUB I had used for 5 years. I am delighted with this subs performance.

That do it for speakers....... all the rest of it if you are bored http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/783.html

BOK

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Such an amazing variety of speakers!
I'm really amazed how big this thread got!
Over 1700 views already!
Keep 'em comin'!

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Good Thread. My setup: overall....7/10
B&Ws driven by Marantz components.

* Mains B&W 603S2s: I'd rate em a 7/10. I still love these tower mains, despite the fact that they get bad press compared to the CDM lineup.

* Sub is a B&W ASW1000. I'll also give it a 7/10. It rolls off pretty steeply at 25hz, but is surprizingly flat and clean up to that point. This surprizes me because it's only got something like a 120 or 150w amp or something pushing a big-ole 12" driver. I got an outrageous deal on it. If I were paying retail, I'd have gone with soimething else. The sub is also helped out by a small oddly shaped room which pressurizes easilly and gives a relatively good bass response.

* B&W cc6 center. 4/10. It's a weak center, but adequate for a real small room. It's too small and it doesn't integrate well with the mains for movies.

* B&W 601S2s (surrounds). 7/10. They are fine. no complaints.

* Marantz SR7000 AVR. 7/10. Good clean power has never dissapointed me. Unfortunately, the horrible bass mgt system and fixed 100hz crossover prevents it from being a better bargain than it could be....then again. It's old.

* Marantz DV3100 Disk player. - 2/10. I got a lemon. It has been a problem since day 1 and is super finicky about what disks it chooses to play and on what days it'll bother working at all.

--Steve

Chip E

Screenwriter
Speakers:

PSB Stratus Silveri L & R front main's (high gloss piano black)

PSB Stratus C6i center channel (high gloss piano black)

PSB Image 10S side surround's

JBL HLS810 bookshelf's for rear surround's

Subwoofer

SVS PB2+ (need i say more. Ungodly clean-loud N' low bass)

Preamp/processor

B&K Reference 50

Amplification

B&K Reference 200.5 amp (200wpc x 5 into 8ohm's - 375wpc into 4ohm's)- Runs my C6i center channel and four surround's

B&K Reference 200.2 amp (200wpc x 2 into 8ohm's - 350wpc into 4ohm's) - Runs my L & R front main's.

Overall, this is a real nice rig. My hearing is going through some changes and although i love my speakers, i think i'm getting close to an upgrade.
I want to move to some B&W Nautilus series speakers (at least the front three for now) The Stratus series definately rock my new basement HT.
I give the sound a solid 8/10

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I just upgrade from Paradigm Studio-100v2 to Signature S8. Did change my CC-570 for a C5. I had a demo C5 to try at home, but still waiting for mine in a different finish. Surrounds= Studio-40v3 (soon to be S2) BackCenters= Studio-20v3 (soon to be S2). Servo-15.

Amps:
Bryston 4BSST (S8) Rotel RMB-1095 (C5, Studio-40v3, 20v3)

Pre/pro: Anthem AVM20

Source: Denon DVD-5900

After countless problems with Rotel customer services RMB-1095 soon to be change for Anthem P5 (5X325W). I just officially name my RMB-1095 the ''humming frig''.

Bryston 4BSST + S8 = 11/10. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Paradigm Signature speakers are fantastic. The C5 is awesome. Human voices are perfect. No sibilance. This speaker was made for HT and shows Paradigm dedication to HT. What a beast! This speaker look ''mean''!!! It''s like having a full range speaker on the side. Could easily pass a full-range signal.

The Rotel RMB-1095 is the limiting factor here. Those Signature speakers are craving for good amplification.

Paradigm Signature C5 = 11/10 !!!

Servo-15 = 8/10

Paradigm Reference Stuio-40v3 and Studio-20v3 = before hearing the Signature 9/10 and after the Signature 7/10.

The mids are the problem with the Reference line. ''Muddy'' and congested. The Signature are so clean compared to the Reference. But you have to listen to them together in the same room to realize that. Ignorance is bliss!

If your hesitating between the Reference and the Signature line, and if you have the money, go for it!

Paradigm did it with the Signature line! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Wow Steve!
I'd really be interested in hearing your system.
A fixed 100hz crossover? That would drive me knucking futs.
I've always wondered what the B&W subs sound like, but few people have them because there seems to be better for the money. But if you got a good deal, more power to ya.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

My 6200 had the same thing. I didn't find it to be a problem with my Monitor 5s (-3dB @ 59Hz) back then.

MichaelOD

Stunt Coordinator
hey justin...i don't have my amps bi amped...

and there are some great systems out there! really!

i forgot to give my rig a rating...ummm, i'd say 8.75/10

cuz, there is always room to improve, unless of course your a millionaire...well even then...!

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Justin/John,

I'm pretty sure at that price point nowadays, you'd get an adjustable x-over. But I bought about 3 or 4 years ago.

I tried running the mains off of the speaker level connects and used the sub's crossover to try to get more out of my mains (towers that are solid to ~43hz). After experimenting with various x-over points, I actually went back to the 100hz crossover and the LFE connection as it gave the (measurably) flattest in-room response.

Funny thing. I found the audible differences between 80/100 hz crossovers to be way overblown, IMHO.

--Steve

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Would you care to elaborate on "overblown"?
Do you mean in the sense that there wan't much difference or there was a massive difference? I'm a math and science guy, not english :b

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Sure. What I meant was that I was hard pressed to hear/percieve any difference at all between my system with an 80hz or a 100hz x-over. The only way I could tell there was a difference was by measuring the system/room's response. One was clearly flatter than the other (100hz).

Prior to this little experiment, I had read so much about the merits of various x-over points that I was expecting to have a strong preference one way or the other. I was underwhelmed at the results to say the least.

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks