What's new

3D Ratatouille in 3D (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
"Item under review" (ie., some .UK customer probably wasn't aware it was French)

It would be nice to see this imported if they have the in-house master, but as it is, it's pretty well being released to tie in with the new Paris theme-park expansion.
Over here, we're more likely to get an Incredibles 3D first (there's been a lot of marketing push lately), but that's....whenever that happens. :huh:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I bought this last week. I thought the 3D was pretty good for a conversion job.

Looking forward to their next one, The Incredibles 3D.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Steve Christou said:
I bought this last week. I thought the 3D was pretty good for a conversion job.

Looking forward to their next one, The Incredibles 3D.
Does conversion really apply to computer animation? As I understand it, they render the movie again from slightly different viewpoints to give a stereo pair.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
StephenDH said:
Does conversion really apply to computer animation? As I understand it, they render the movie again from slightly different viewpoints to give a stereo pair.
Yes, if the original files are all available, they are for Pixar, but Dreamworks didn't have them for Shrek and had to convert instead.

I linked to an article that tells you more about how they do it in the Top 30 3D titles thread.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ejanss said:
"Item under review" (ie., some .UK customer probably wasn't aware it was French) It would be nice to see this imported if they have the in-house master, but as it is, it's pretty well being released to tie in with the new Paris theme-park expansion.Over here, we're more likely to get an Incredibles 3D first (there's been a lot of marketing push lately), but that's....whenever that happens. :huh:
What do you mean French? It says it English with English, German, and French subtitles. Some asshole probably made some stupid complaint. I was ready to order this.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
FoxyMulder said:
Yes, if the original files are all available, they are for Pixar, but Dreamworks didn't have them for Shrek and had to convert instead.

I linked to an article that tells you more about how they do it in the Top 30 3D titles thread.
Incredible to think that, even today, film companies are losing track of their original material.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have had my UK Amazon copy for over two weeks and just tonight tried watching it on my Oppo 93. It's region locked and I cannot play it. Has anyone else had this problem? I have bought several "region free" blu-rays from Amazon and this is the first time this has happened.

Guess I'll be contacting Amazon UK.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve Christou said:
The UK version was in English for chrissakes, like I said a few posts up I watched the 3D edition a few days ago.
Do you have a region-free player or is your copy a region-free disc?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Johnny Angell said:
Do you have a region-free player or is your copy a region-free disc?
Johnny, I live in England so that wasn't a problem. Amazon should have made it clear this wasn't 'region-free'. Have you tried playing the disc on another blu-ray player?

I've just checked the forum at Blu-ray.com and others are having the same problem. Ratatouille is region-locked.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Steve Christou said:
Johnny, I live in England so that wasn't a problem. Amazon should have made it clear this wasn't 'region-free'. Have you tried playing the disc on another blu-ray player?

I've just checked the forum at Blu-ray.com and others are having the same problem. Ratatouille is region-locked.
I thought this disc was listed as region-free when I ordered it. When I go back to the product page it is now labeled as region B. Do you remember if this disc was listed as region-free?

Does anyone remember if this was listed as region-free?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnny Angell said:
I thought this disc was listed as region-free when I ordered it. When I go back to the product page it is now labeled as region B. Do you remember if this disc was listed as region-free?

Does anyone remember if this was listed as region-free?
Amazon probably thought it was region free and thus listed it as that because Disney always used to be region free, for some reason their policy has recently changed and they are locking the regions down, very annoying when they do that.

My feeling is if they are region locking titles it's because at some point they will release them in the USA.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One of the comments at Amazon UK "Loved the movie. The 3D is worth the money but the disc isn't listed correctly. It is Region B. Not Region Free." They've corrected it to 'Region B'.

I'm sure it'll be released in the USA eventually. You could buy a multi-region blu-ray player. I have one but its not in 3D.

Meanwhile we Brits are finally getting The Wizard of Oz in 3D this November.

dddesign

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
I too bought from Amazon UK when it was listed as region free. Unfortunately I do not have a player that will play it. It, and other available movies are making me consider a multi-region player. Does anyone have any recommendations in that regard?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
dddesign said:
I too bought from Amazon UK when it was listed as region free. Unfortunately I do not have a player that will play it. It, and other available movies are making me consider a multi-region player. Does anyone have any recommendations in that regard?

Hi Dan - I have an Oppo BDP-103 with an external modification which I got on eBay. You basically just plug the chip into the back of the player, and then press a few buttons on your remote when you want to switch regions. The upside is that it's a really great player, the downside is that it's $500 (and the mod was about $50 on top of that). There are websites like 220 Electronics and Bombay Electronics that sell modified players by other brands (like LG) that are a lot cheaper (closer to $100-200). I don't have any firsthand experience with either of those companies or their players, but I've seen other forum members vouch for them on here before - might want to check out the Hardware section to see if anyone's commented on these recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks