What's new

Random static through speakers with sub connected (1 Viewer)

smneufell

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Hey people, new here and starting off with a stumper for me. I've got a fair amount of electrical and audio experience, just not too much with home amps, more for cars and pcs. Recently I've removed all rca connections and set up all hdmi equipment to passthrough the tv to the amp with optical. Immediately I got this occasional few second static coming only through the speakers that I just discovered is caused by the subs preamp cable. As the sound was occuring I wiggled the cable on the preamp end and it went away. I yanked the cable and since it hasn't happened. Its a monster cable split into a 2 channel rca cable. The subs an mtx. Works fine. It IS next to a mini fridge which causes obvious noise when running, but I believe that's totally unrelated. The problem started long after the fridge was put there. Im going to try a few things to try and replicate the symptom, but any advice out of the ordinary would be awesome. Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
smneufell said:
Recently I've removed all rca connections and set up all hdmi equipment to passthrough the tv to the amp with optical.
This most likely isn't contributing to the hissing problem, but it's probably worth mentioning. When you pass external sources through the TV and out to the receiver via digital optical cable, any and all digital surround information (5.1) is lost since all external sources are downmixed to 2.0 stereo. If your receiver does not have any HDMI inputs, then I can sort of see the point (somewhat) for simplified operation, but if you can provide more information (model number of your receiver, specifics on what sources are connected) we may be able to help you connect your devices to maximize both the video and audio experience.
smneufell said:
Its a monster cable split into a 2 channel rca cable.
Why the splitter? Even though your subwoofer may have both left and right (red/white) inputs, you don't need to use a splitter. Just use one or the other (again, a specific model number for the subwoofer would help). The subwoofer signal is mono anyway, so any "stereo" signal fed to the subwoofer is immediately combined internally. If it's a separate splitter, ditch it altogether and just use the single cable. If the cable itself is split to two RCAs at one end, go out and get a regular subwoofer cable.

No need for "monster" cables - they're overpriced. Many of us here get cables from www.monoprice.com. Their "best" stuff is a fraction of the cost of Monster, and every bit as good (or moreso).

smneufell

Auditioning
Real Name
Sean
Hey sorry for the long delayed response. The system was set up by my father a long while back so I assumed it was right. He's more old school and never had subs in his days so only thing I can think of is the salesman sold him unnecessary stuff. This was before I knew ANYTHING. It worked so i never questioned it. Anyways. Turns out at some point someone moved where the sub was plugged in for there own accessories... I plugged it in its own outlet and problem solved. So much for counting out the most common issues... electrical noise. Pff. thanks though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks