What's new

Rambo IV gets the green light (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Sequels aren't inherently bad to me. It's just that there's such a demand for them to "top" the previous one that they eventually end up over the top.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
If you want to see Rambo be entertaining once again, just watch Hot Shots Part Deux. ;) In fact, that film should have signaled to the entire world that Rambo's days of being taken seriously were now over. :laugh:

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Stallone was on Fox News recently and in an interview mentioned this project a bit. He said it was more of a return to what the first film was trying to do with the character. He liked the aspect that it was Rambo, kind of "out of his element" on the battlefield and that it was a good story. He seemed excited about it.

CoreyII

Second Unit
Just a couple of points:

1.) I don't know maybe Im just in the minority (which I don't mind) but I'd much rather see Stallone pursue another Rambo film than another Rocky.

2.) As I have always said, this forum is uneccessarily hard on Stallone. Personally, I miss the old school action heroes. When Stallone, Eastwood, Schwarzenegger, and Norris were on screen they brought a certain sense of conviction, a sense of believability to the action hero image. Today you have jokers like Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Orlando Bloom, and Keanu Reeves all trying to be action heroes.

3.) If many of you realized the positive impact that Rambo has had on today's action films then there probably wouldn't be so much negativity to the idea of a 4th Rambo film.

4.) Personally, I think Rambo III was a well done and very underrated action film. I think Stallone was smart to put the character in Afghanistan as opposed to having him go back to Vietnam and rehash the same things he did in pt.2. That's what killed the Braddock (Chuck Norris) franchise, among other things.

5.)
Im so tired of someone always bringing up Die Hard as the end all be all of action films, especially when comparing it to the Rambo films. If it wasn't for Rambo there would be no Die Hard or Lethal Weapon for that matter. Die Hard 1 was a great film, but beyond that you have to ask yourself how many times can one guy keep running into terrorists. At least the plots in Rambo are a natural extension of the previous film.

Pete-D

Screenwriter
Well its been a good 20 years since Rambo's heyday circa 1985, but still I think Rocky VI would be a worse idea (especailly without Talia Shire).

I dunno it sounds well at least somewhat imaginative. I was expecting something totally unoriginal like Rambo hunting down Bin Laden or something, lol.

If Stallone really wanted to have another hit though, why doesn't he do Demolition Man 2? Cut your salary, but accept points in order to get Sandra Bullock and Wesley Snipes back.

I think that's one potential franchise that he has that could be a hit in the $100-$200 million range. That's a strong cast that appeals across the board too, its not just relying on Sly to sell tickets as Bullock and Snipes can also carry a movie, but neither have had too many hits lately either.

And today with the CGI that we have, you could probably do a lot more with the action scenes.

Rocky or Rambo ... while I understand they have strong nostalgic value for Sly, probably wouldn't earn more than $50 million a piece for either of them. Also, can Stallone really get into the type of shape that people expect a Rambo or Rocky to be in? I guess Arnold did it for T3, but he says he wouldn't be able to do it again, and he's a former Mr. Universe.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Coreyll,
i'm an old school action man myself, I grew up in the 80's with Commando, Missing in Action, Cobra the Rambo trilogy and every other action film you can think of.

However, that doesn't mean that i'm incapable of recocnizing when an idea isn't a very good one. I would love it if it worked, but as I said those days are gone and honestly don't think it will work, unless they do somehing radically different with it that reenergizes the franchise which, sad to say, isn't likely.

Also, why be down on todays action stars? I can't say I care for Ben Affleck, but Matt Damon was great in the Bourne films and your comment about Keanu Reeves is way off the mark as well. Speed is one of the most exciting and kinetic films ever filmed and he also did a geat job in Point Break also.

And I will say this, for me action films don't get any better than the Die Hard series. They may owe a lot to Rambo but that's where my loyalties to Rambo end. The Rambo films are equally as silly and improbable as the Die Hard films, so no, I don't have to ask myself how one man keeps running into terrorists, because, hey, how does one man keep surviving when he's facing entire villages and even whole COUNTRIES!? That's a can of worms that just shouldn't be opened.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Before/After pics of Arnold around T3 were startling to me. I couldn't imagine Arnold being that out of shape.

Stallone looks reasonably in shape, but I don't know. Movie magic can help a bit. Then again, Rambo tends to go shirtless quite a bit. ;)

For me, Rocky vs. Rambo is a clear choice. I've liked every Rocky movie on some level -- even Rocky V. I clearly see the dropoff, and yet I can enjoy them for what they are. Rambo III feels ridiculous to me, especially when compared to the original First Blood.

In the end, for me... a character like Rambo doesn't really continue on indefinitely, but a boxer does age, and you can continue to tell interesting stories about his life as he does.

Then again, it really doesn't matter. As I said, unless Stallone is willing to get really serious about what he's developing, it's going to basically suck. Everything he needs to know about his movie career is covered in Rocky III. He simply does not have the eye of the tiger at the moment. He needs to come up with a really compelling story, then take his time and do a good job of writing it. None of this farming it out to writers-for-hire and such. They make passable entertainment, but more often than not, their lack of passion for the subject matter shows.

Jeff B.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kinda excited about this one, even though I chuckled out loud when I read the storyline. To me these films are all about the action and me pretending I would be able to do the same thing if I had muscles like that. :D

I agree with you Corey about many of today's action stars, though Damon and Reeves are decent. I just watched paycheck the other day, Affleck was so uninspiring, many of the action sequences he looked uncoordinated. I think Tom Cruise does a pretty good job in action flicks though.

No one beats Arnold and Stalone for pure badassness though. I really believe they are invincible.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

They'll save that for "Rambo X" I can't wait to see Rambo get cyberized in the last 10 minutes.;)

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Wow, what a bitter bunch. You should be ashamed of yourselves for badmouthing the Rambo series. These movies are world renowned and perhaps the greatest action movies ever made. As has already been stated, the Rambo movies have had a huge positive impact on the action movie genre. Maybe it's time you guys sit down and watch them again (ok part III gets a little silly at the very end).

If you can recall, when part II came out, it was HUGE. The whole country was infatuated with it. Not only did it make it OK to be a Vietnam vet, but it made it respectful. It popularized cauterizing wounds and the bow and arrow dammit!

Reeves, Damon, Vid Diesel, the Rock, and Affleck can't hold a candle to Stallone, Schwarzenegger, or Norris in terms of action movies...not even close. Have any of the current "action" stars made you want to buy a knife?

I, for one, am very excited about this movie.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

:laugh:

"If it weren't for Rambo, I wouldn't be alive today. Thank you, John Rambo, for not letting me bleed out!"

;)

It's all in good fun.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Sorry, Steve, as much as I love the Rambo series and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, that honor goes to the Die Hard trilogy, IMO of course.

And your opinion on todays action stars is an example of some individuals not possesing the ability to accept new talent in this genre. Stallone, Shcwarzenegger and Norris are great and will always be so, but I would never damn the new guy's simply because they weren't around in the 80's.

Action films have changed, they are different now, not worse, just different. Films like Speed, The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremicy are still very effective despite the lack of a seemingly invincable hero who get's shirtless and blows up everything in sight.

My point is, it's all good, old and new, don't just limit yourself only to the great 80's icons. Action evolves...evolve with it.

Last thing, Rambo made you want to buy a knife? (John asks slowly backing away from Steve) ;)

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
The newer guys are OK, but they just don't deliver the action that Stallone and Schwarzenegger did in the 80's. While the films they were in may have been cheap, badly written and full of cliques, the performances the "stars" gave in them is unequaled.

Case point, the new guys have no good one liners like "I'll be back" and they had humor "You remember when I promised to kill you last? I lied"

The new guys don't have the action man look. Matt Damon looks like he could bloody your nose. Schwarzenegger looks like he could take out a football team. I can see Keanue Reeves holding a M16, but I can't see him holding a M60 with one arm like Stallone or Schwarzenegger. I can also suspend my disbelief at the wounds they receive in there movies.

The only recent movie that captured the 80's Action Movie feel was last years The Punisher. Jane looked like he was coming over to kick your ass, had the physical look and a good stare with his eyes, drove a kewl car, he had humor and had nice one liners.

Saint: "you killed my son"

BOOOOMMMMM

Punisher: "Both of them"

SteveCallas

Second Unit
Exactly, how much do Reeves and Damon weigh? 150lbs? Show me one action star today who can get in as good of shape as Stallone or Arnold. I agree, the action movies today are different, but in my opinion, for the worse. When watching the Bourne movies, or Speed, or whatever, you don't get the same ass-kicking, patriotic feeling you do when watching 80's action movies.

In Delta Force, Norris beats the shit out of terrorists, in Rambo II, Stallone kills war criminals, in Predator, Arnold kills an alien, in the Bourne movies, Damon kills...other assasins and government officials? Weak.

I actually would have preferred Rambo 4 to be about Rambo taking out the Taliban. Politically incorrect, racially intolerant? Be quiet and start living in the real world.

And yeah, the Rambo movies did make me purchase a hunting knife identical to the one he uses in part II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks