What's new

RAM and Processor speed question (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I've heard that a processors speed is limited by the amount of RAM in your computer. Is this true? If it is, how much RAM would you need to take full advantage of a P4 1.3 GHZ computer? Does having a 400 Mhz front side bus help any?

CRyan

Screenwriter
I will try and help you to the best of my computer abilities.
Processor speed has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of RAM you have in your system. HOWEVER, your copmuter will run faster with more RAM depending on how much you have now and how much more you put in it. If you are running Windows 95/98/Me, then 128 is about all that you need. I mean you can go ahead and upgrade to 256 since it is so cheap, and you may see a slight increase in performance. This depends on what programs you are running. I mean, if you are running a professional CAD program, then you need to get as much as your computer and OS will support.
Basically, the more you have, the less the processor has to go to the hard drive to get information.
The 400mhz fsb does have something to do with it. Someone here will have to tell you what kind of memory you need.
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The Pentium 4 chips 'till now use Rambus memory. I believe they're trying to get a DDR version working also.
The processor isn't limited by the amount of RAM, but the speed of RAM can be important. In an older PC100 system, you could use PC66 DIMM memory and it will cripple the 100mhz bus speed of the processor and motherboard. It is critical to use the correct type of RAM.
But given that you're using the right sort of RAM for your motherboard (I believe Rambus comes in different flavours but I have no experience of it), then as long as you don't strangle the system but putting in a ridiculously small amount, there shouldn't be any problems. Desirable RAM sizes go up each year. A couple of years ago 64mb was considered a good amount, but now 128mb is what you should be looking at minimum. If you're using Windows 2000, XP or Linux then look at 256 and upwards to get the most out of your machine. RAM sizes of 512mb are not unheard of in high performance PCs.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Thank you for the help. I'm new to all this computer stuff I'm as Joe Sixpack as you can get. I just have a couple more questions to bore you with. :)
I have a Pentium 4 1.3 ghz with 128MB PC800 RDRAM (2 RIMMs). My operating systems is Windows Me but I'm thinking of upgrading to XP. If I upgrade to 256 can I just buy another 128 card or do I need to buy a 256 upgrade? Does the socket number on my processor have anything to do with what type of RAM I should buy?
[Edited last by Jacob_St on August 30, 2001 at 10:51 AM]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
You should be fine with another 128 stick.
Definitely change your OS. Your machine is wasted with Me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks