What's new

Raleigh NC's First Christmas Snowfall (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Here's some pic's I shot of our first Christmas snowfall. This is actually Cary, NC

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Nice shots, Bob. I really like #1 & #3.

I'll bet the snow caused a lot of havoc down there. We have friends in Raleigh, and I remember when you got two feet of snow several years ago. They couldn't go to work for a week!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My backyard doesn't look anything like that!!! Heh. If my backyard looked like that, I might have been inspired to take some photos.

Nice job on the photos, Bob.

I totally missed the white Christmas at my house since I was further south visiting friends and family during the weekend.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
They said on the Today Show that it was Raleigh's first white Christmas, but it's really not true. You can double check with the meteorologist, Bill Reh, at NBC-17, in Raleigh. The last time snow was falling on Christmas day was 1947. The last time there was snow already on the ground on Christmas day, was in 1966. They (Ch. 17) told this several times, in their weather reports, for 2-3 days before Christmas. I live about an hour east of Raleigh, in Goldsboro. We had a big snow and white Christmas in 1989 (first in my lifetime, and I'm 61), and Raleigh didn't get a flake of that snow, which was real unusual. Raleigh gets snow that we don't, but we hardly ever get snow that Raleigh doesn't. This year, we didn't get any snow on Christmas day. It started snowing at 3:00 am Sunday morning, the day after Christmas. We ended up with 10". So, 1989 is still the only white Christmas we've had in Goldsboro, since the 30s or 40s.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
LOL, it's not exactly my backyard, but it's walking distance. It was the snow that started in Raleigh/Cary at 8 PM December 25th. It was a perfect snow photo op. The snow clung to everything and had that magical quality about it. My 3 sons and I went out on the afternoon of the 26th to roam around and I shot 90 or so pics. As Ed says, the local NBC affiliate reported it as the first Christmas snow in over 60 years, while others were reporting it as the first Christmas snow since records have been kept. In any event, it was the first Christmas snow in the 14+ years I've lived here. The Raleigh area has really grown up in the 14 years I've been here. I was here for the 21 inches or so and that wiped the area out. Since then, Raleigh and local municipalities have added snow equipment and now pre-treat roads and such. Thanks everyone. I had a blast shooting that day. I knew it wouldn't last long and it was an opportunity not to be missed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Those are nice, Bob. Like Scott, I also particularly liked #1 and #3.

I live w/in walking distance of a big, nice park, but the snowfall up here was just too much (and I'm also too lazy ), so I didn't make it out for any scenic photos. In fact, I have yet to ever make it out to that park for photos after snowfall -- maybe I should to plan on it for our next snowfall...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks