Rakhmaninov’s Symphony No.2 question

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jason Kirkpatri, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

(Rakhmaninov/Russian or Rachmaninoff/English translation)

In the fourth movement, you can hear a xylophone performing some decoration during the brass motif, at least I think it's a xylophone.

Question #1 - is it a xylophone, and if so...
    Question #2 - the xylophone isn't part of the romantic period orchestra (at least, as far as I'm aware). Is it a member of the modern era, and that was Rakhmaninov's influence to use it in his Symphony?

Thanks for any insights!

2. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I'd have to re-listen to answer part 1, but I think what you're hearing is the glockenspiel. I know that he calls for the xylophone in the Symphonic Dances. Also keep in mind that the second symphony was written in 1907. Rachmaninov may have been writing in the romantic tradition, but he was well into the modern era.

As for part 2, Saint-Saens uses the xylophone in La Danse Macabre (1874) and the Carnival of the Animals (1886).

3. Jason Kirkpatri

Excellent! Thanks for the tip! I'll search this instrument out more fully.

4. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Wow, more Rachmaninov fans on the HTF! Who would have thunk it?

Do any of you have any of Rachmaninov's works on hi-rez? Any recommended? All my stuff is on CD, and I have to admit a couple of them don't sound too good.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My favorite hi-res Rachmaninoff is Volodos' performance of the 2nd piano concerto but it's single-layer.

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I have a neat little story to tell re: Rachmaninoff. Many years ago (O.K. decades ago) I went to a record store and bought the then new 1st Eric Carmen album (former leader of the rock band "Raspberries"). I noticed an in-store display of clasical albums entitled "______'s Greatest Hits". On a whim, I picked up Rachmaninoff's Greatest hits.

After a few days of listening to both albums the hair suddenly stood up on my neck as I realized that Eric Carmen had used themes from the 2nd symphony and 2nd piano concerto for at least 3 of his songs (including the hit "Never gonna Fall In love again"). He later admitted to this.

How's that for a coincidence!

7. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Ivan Fischer's recent recording of the 2nd Symphony on Channel Classics is superb in all ways: interpretation, playing, and sonics. Highly recommended.

8. Jason Kirkpatri

My first (but not the last) live orchestra movement was No. 2. I heard the g-l-o-c-k-e-n-s-p-i-e-l [​IMG] but I didn't have my glasses on. Since I'm a cheap ass through and through, I was waaaay up in the gallery. Unbelievable sound still; I was impressed.

To date, I've heard some Hayden and Mozart (classical genre just isn't for me), some other non-mentionable pieces, and Beethoven's No. 5 (wow!), Bolirous (sp?) Symphony Fantastique (wow!) and now Rakhmaninov's No. 2 (wow!). Surprisingly, I can't stand Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet though.

9. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Cheap seats tend to have good sound since there is typically a lot of open air around them combined with how in many halls, the sound travels straight up.

Not even close [​IMG] Berlioz

10. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

11. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Thanks for the hirez recommendations; now if I could just stop buying golf equipment, I could buy some nice discs. [​IMG]