Raise The Titanic (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

raise.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller
    Must have been the multiple times it was on a The Movie Channel in my formative years, but this has always been a fun watch for me. Looking forward to this on blu-ray.

3. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I hope they do it justice. One of John Barry's greatest scores.

Pre-ordered.

4. Malcolm Bmoor

Malcolm Bmoor Stunt Coordinator

Malcolm Blackmoor
    Despite its reputation as a far from marvellous picture I'll buy the new issue to compensate for the free-with-newspaper copy I saw a couple of years ago: 4:3, strange faded colours and mediocre sound. One view & then in the bin.

But it will be interesting to see it properly and admire the magnificent surfacing sequence, and remember that it wasn't until Mr Ballard's dives in the 90s that Titanic's split sections were discovered.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I remember this one from way back in the early VHS days. I'll pick it up.

6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Darn that reality! Why's it always interfering with the movies. :) I have never seen this movie, I'll have to think about it.

7. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

This never got a proper DVD release so I am delighted it is coming to BD. I hope the transfer is decent. Looking forward to it.

8. Jack P

Jack P Producer

I ordered it even as I have mixed feelings about this film. As an adaptation of Clive Cussler's greatest novel, and which made Dirk Pitt a signature character of popular fiction, the film is a total disaster, capturing none of the suspense/action/tension that made the novel and Cussler's Pitt novels special. They also disgracefully tacked on an underlying dose of 1970s moral equivalence doctrine regarding the Cold War struggle that is nowhere to be found in *any* of Cussler's novels (I'll put it this way; the end of the novel results in a different course of action being taken in the graveyard as opposed to the film. You can guess what I mean there). It's easy to understand why Cussler vowed after this that none of his novels would ever be sold to Hollywood again (though of course he would change his mind and come to regret that a quarter century later, but that's another story).

Despite this trashing of a great novel, I still have to admit as a Titanic buff who first read Cussler's novel because I was a Titanic buff, the movie still is special because of the magnificent for their time special effects that depicts something that in 1980, five years before the discovery of the wreck, we could still have fanciful dreams of, of seeing the Titanic found intact, raised and brought to New York to complete the maiden voyage. In 1985 when the wreck was found broken in two, those dreams which were never realistic to begin with, ended forever, but the film at least lets us keep reliving that dream. And John Barry's score is outstanding. It's his best non-007 score altogether IMO.

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I vaguely remember a review of the film when it was released. The reviewer said the only time the film was any good was during the actual raising of the Titanic.

10. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    I have the movie on VHS and do not think I want to spend the money. The best part is the end of the movie and the John Barry score. I believe that score may be out on cd. Being a Dark Shadows fan I thought David Selby was quite good in the film.

11. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    As is Richard Jordan. I enjoy this film.

12. Jack P

Jack P Producer

A rerecording of the score was done for CD about 15 years because unfortunately the original film tracks have disappeared.

There was a prologue of the sinking filmed for the movie that got cut from the final version, but the F/X sequence of that was used in the 1982 Titanic themed episode of the TV series "Voyagers" which is on DVD.

13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Does this imply that the source Shout Factory is using will not be in the original Dolby stereo?

14. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    This was shown in London in 70mm Dolby Stereo and the sound was the best thing about it.

15. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Second Unit

Jack Walder
    This book was the first I read by Clive Cussler back in the late 70's, and it made me an avid fan. I've read dozens over the years, and I have eight of his books now waiting to be read. This movie doesn't do the book justice to be sure, but there's something about it that keeps me from changing the channel on the rare occasion it's broadcast. I'll wait for reviews before I order it.