DVD Review "Raise the Red Lantern" DVD Review (with screen captures)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gary Tooze, Sep 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

Sorry, if this subject excited some, this is a review of the 1998 DVD release of the ERA Home Video HK DVD of Zhang Yimou's "Raise the Red Lantern". You can access it
    (and the screen captures/bit rate etc.) by CLICKING HERE
    ERA are also the owners of Zhang's "Lifetimes" (aka "To Live") and the DVD quality is the same as this one.
    This is simply ridiculous! A film of this stature and this is the only DVD version available? (although I have heard of an even worse one - Pan and Scan and no English subs). This appears to be a port from Laser Disc. It is very blurry and the double sub-titles are distracting. There is no definition or contract in the image. The sound is surprisingly not bad at all. The colors are not too bad either, but more credit to Zhang Yimou, as most of his films are this luminescent. There are no Extras, no Chapters on this DVD. It is brighter than a VHS, but not even as sharp. I am glad I bought it, just to see the film, but this is screaming out for a top notch Criterion-style release. Hopefully soon and we can put this mess behind us.
    1/5 .
    Cheers,

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

This is definitely a shame! Raise the Red Lantern deserves the deluxe treatment...

3. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo
    Join the club of broken-hearts. I'd love to see this film in a Criterion version.

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

This is just sad. With the two most recent releases of Yimou films on DVD given at least "good" treatment, it's a shame that arguably his best film would get such a shoddy one. Still, I love the film and will probably buy anyways because even for such renowned foreign directors as Yimou, rereleases are few and far between.

Bruce

5. Joel C

Joel C Screenwriter

MGM holds the US rights, so I'm sure we can expect it before too long. They did a good job with Eat Drink Man Woman, after all.

6. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

7. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I love this film also & would kill for a really well done version.[​IMG]

8. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

9. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Since MGM has the rights to it, I bet we see a "World Films" release in the not too distant future.

10. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

I was pretty surprised to find Yimou's recent film "Happy Times" for rent at the local Blockbuster. I was even more suprised to see it for sale in their "Previously Viewed" section for a mere $14.99 CDN the other day. An absolutely fantastic film, and a pretty nice transfer too. Although it says 5.1, I don't think I heard anything beyond 2.0.

What's the latest on the upcoming "Hero" special edition?

ShaunS