What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (1 Viewer)

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Raintree County was a bore even when I saw it upon it's original release.It was not surprising that it was a flop. I saw it again recently on dvd and it is still a monumental bore of a film. Beautifully photographed but oh so overlong and tedious. It IS available on dvd and has been for more than a decade. Just keep searching the internet and you should find it.I gave my copy away recently as I could not stand seeing this film ever again.It was not surprising that it was never released in 70mm. Too few 70mm cinemas at the time and most were screening long run films.In the early days of 70mm some films were screened at a single cinema for years. (South Pacific ran 5 years in London and 4 1/2 in Sydney.) Sound Of Music (a much later release) also had a similar run in London and Sydney. In my opinion, Sound Of Music was the most disappointing of all Roger's & Hammerstein's musicals..Brilliant directing and photography but the music never grabbed me like the rest of R&H musicals did. True it was the most successful film of all time upon it's original release.I also had to endure it for 10 long months at the 70mm cinema that I worked at.We had a party after it finished...Unless a film has been lost for all time then it is bound to be out there on dvd somewhere in the world. I even have THE ALAMO in it's original roadshow length.. Only the much shorter film has ever been officially released on dvd.That was truly magnificent in 70mm and it was no wonder that it won the Oscar for 'best sound'. It was not a success at the boxoffice but the music was unforgettable.I am not a western nor a John Wayne fan but THE ALAMO never fails to move me with the very emotional finale and the amazing final battle scene.No digital effects at the time luckily as that would have lessened the film's impact.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I am a bit puzzled that somebody would be taking the time to post about a movie that he could not stand ever seeing again but to each his own I guess...For those who actually care for it coming to Blu-ray: Have there been any news since the latest Q&A with George Feltenstein?At this point it might be worthwhile to mention any 35mm screenings of the movie in this thread as I would think that it is not coming to Blu-ray anytime soon.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cinerama10 said:
Unless a film has been lost for all time then it is bound to be out there on dvd somewhere in the world.
Really? In what condition? Released by whom?

Certainly there are bootleg DVDs of many MIA films, but that is not the same as a proper disc released with the authorisation of the copyright holder.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
battlebeast said:
And Elizabeth Taylor was HORRIBLY miscast in Ivanhoe; she was much better in Raintree.
I disagree entirely. As lit and photographed by Freddie Young, she looked superb in Ivanhoe and was quite good in her role. She certainly made the lust of the George Sanders character credible. I don't think she was nearly as good in Raintree County.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
OliverK said:
I am a bit puzzled that somebody would be taking the time to post about a movie that he could not stand ever seeing again but to each his own I guess...
Especially since this was necro-bumped from from August. Usually when that happens, I expect some actual news on the title to justify it, but alas.
Robin9 said:
Really? In what condition? Released by whom?

Certainly there are bootleg DVDs of many MIA films, but that is not the same as a proper disc released with the authorisation of the copyright holder.
In the case of Raintree County, all that will likely be out there are P&S transfers taped off of TCM. I'm sure we reasonably expect something better than that to be done with this film on the home video front.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
cinerama10 said:
I even have THE ALAMO in it's original roadshow length..
Wow! I bet Robert Harris would love to get his hands on that one.

Seriously, what you most likely have is a Bootleg DVD (probably Asian) copied from the old MGM/UA extended version Laserdisc.

As a newbie you will soon learn that it is taboo on HTF to promote or encourage others to seek out what are most likely to be Bootleg DVDs of copyrighted movies.

Doug.

AdrianTurner

BANNED
Real Name
Adrian Turner
My long version of The Alamo is my own transfer of the VHS to DVD. Not the best transfer I've ever seen but at least I have a record of what they [wisely?] cut out!

Raintree County is still high on my list - I'm sure it's a bore, but I want to see it anyway.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
JoHud said:
In the case of Raintree County, all that will likely be out there are P&S transfers taped off of TCM. I'm sure we reasonably expect something better than that to be done with this film on the home video front.
I have an Italian DVD of Raintree County. It's pretty bad but it isn't pan & scan.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I like RAINTREE COUNTY, actually. If I REALLY want to be bored, I'll go to my local multiplex, pick a film at random, pay my admission and attempt to sit through it. Never fails that I am either bored to tears or insulted and often just walk out. Sad thing is that the pieces of crap that are shown there will ALL make it onto blu-ray, every fart joke comedy, dumb buddy flick, wooden "superhero" mess, and CG monstrosity. RAINTREE COUNTY is pure literature in comparison. And, "critics" who disparage other peoples beloved films are rather annoying, anyway.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
AdrianTurner said:
Raintree County is still high on my list - I'm sure it's a bore, but I want to see it anyway.
It looks and sounds great - if you can wait to see it as a decent print or a Blu-ray that is!As for the movie it seems that opinions vary quite a bit as you can see in this thread :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Robin9 said:
I have an Italian DVD of Raintree County. It's pretty bad but it isn't pan & scan.
I forget that this movie is non-anamorphic letterboxed on TV, my error. Probably the best transfer out there regardless, and that's hardly saying much and probably why WHV never release such a disc. Still, surprised there's actually a legit version out there on DVD.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
JoHud said:
I forget that this movie is non-anamorphic letterboxed on TV, my error. Probably the best transfer out there regardless, and that's hardly saying much and probably why WHV never release such a disc. Still, surprised there's actually a legit version out there on DVD.
Regarding best transfer: It seems like it was shown on HDnet at some point. A forum member said he had taped it in 1080i and there is someone mentioning of it on AVSforum in a very old thread. Would probably good enough for an archive release on DVD but not more.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Actually Doug,I bought RAINTREE COUNRY on dvd in Melbourne many years ago.Likewise for THE ALAMO.Who knows where they emanated from but both were wide screen complete with the overture and intermission.The picture quality was excellent.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
cinerama10 said:
Actually Doug,I bought RAINTREE COUNRY on dvd in Melbourne many years ago.Likewise for THE ALAMO.Who knows where they emanated from but both were wide screen complete with the overture and intermission.The picture quality was excellent.
There are a large number of HTF members here, including myself, who also have the same two movies, exactly the same roadshow versions, probably exactly the same extras, all taken from exactly the same source, but the only difference is, ours are legal.
They're called Laserdiscs.

Those DVDs appear to be nothing more than bootleg copies stolen from the same laserdisc source.
raintree1.jpg

..."The Picture quality was excellent"
If you happen to like non Anamorphic 4:3 Letterbox with it's less than 300 lines of resolution. :blink:

Those two pre-mentioned transfers were struck in the last century.
That's why a very large number of us at HTF and elsewhere are desperate for a 21st century restoration or at least an updated
re-master for Blu-ray and beyond.

Doug.

jcb07

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
j. c. bartolomei
I have a Spanish DVD of Raintree County from WB with an AR of 2.35:1,non-anamorphic.PQ is very good.Duration is 159 min. in PAL which is close to 166 min. in NTSC. The original time length is 168 min. according to IMDb.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
jcb07 said:
I have a Spanish DVD of Raintree County from WB with an AR of 2.35:1,non-anamorphic.PQ is very good.Duration is 159 min. in PAL which is close to 166 min. in NTSC. The original time length is 168 min. according to IMDb.
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and buy the Spanish DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks