rainbow in my DLP not seen before

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gavin_mi, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Gavin_mi

Gavin_mi Stunt Coordinator

I have had my TV for about 3 months now and I NEVER saw a rainbow in it ever until tuesday of this week. I am seeing them much more frequently now. could this be a problem with the TV? is the color wheel getting dust on it? I noticed that it has a fan in the back and I live in a house with 2 dogs and there is ALOT of dust in there....I need one of those 300 dollar air filters. should I call a repairman? I know that those RBE wasnt there when I first got the TV and all of the sudden they appear. I notice them most when there is something white in the middle of dark stuff and I look away from the TV to do something. any info would be great.

on a side note what is the actual life expectance on the bulb in there? and the price to replace? its a mits WD-62327

Gavin

2. John S

John S Producer

Rainbows are an odd thing...

I'm not sure anything is wrong or changed. Many many people find they don't see them at first, but once they see them, they see them all the time.

A tech should be able to clean it all out real good. I'd have him sort of train you on how to do it, sounds like you may be doing it every 3 months or so.

Best of luck with it all.

3. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Gavin, I never saw them until about the 1 month mark. I only see them when I look down away from the screen. No big deal to me. IMO, those that claim they get headaches from them are getting eye fatigue from the brightness & high contrast of the dlp's.

4. Gavin_mi

how do the $30,000 projectors with 3 DLP color wheels/processors not get any RBE? is it all spinning faster? I think my TV has gotten broke in an the wheel slowed down a little and now I can see it. seriously when I first got this and everyone was talking about RBE I spent HOURS trying to see one RBE, doing everything imaginable to catch a glimps, then one day there they are plain as day.

any insight on the lifespan/cost on the bulbs?

gavin

5. John S

John S Producer

Your experience is not that uncommon is all I am saying.

I don't really do DLP, so I am weak on lifespan and bulb life questions.

6. Gavin_mi

thanks for your info, I didnt mean to sound snippy, sorry for that if I did.

Gavin

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lifespan on the bulbs is about 3-5 years ... ballpark. cost is about 300 bucks to replace.

i don't know if rainbows is something you start seeing after a while. i always thought you either saw it right away ... or not at all. me, i don't see them, nor do i want to try.

also, what brand is this tv? the latest model samsungs have a seven-segment color wheel ... that should help reduce/eliminate rainbowing.

8. Gavin_mi

its a mitsubishi WD-62327, it also has the new TI DLP chip like the sammys.

thanks for the bulb info.

9. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

Those $30k projectors are 3 chip DLPs that have no color wheels, meaning no rainbows. Most consumer DLPs are one chip DLP that need a color wheel.

10. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Gavin. There is nothing wrong with your television. I have had dlp products in the past and only started noticing rainbows after about 3 months. If it does not really bother you then I really would not put too much emphasis on it.

Once you start seeing them then it is more than likely that you will continue to see them regularly. [​IMG]

11. Gavin_mi

thanks for the info, I guess I can sleep tonight knowing im not going to have to have the repair guy in and cost me 500 bucks that could be going towards my speakers in the future.

Gavin

12. frankinG

frankinG Stunt Coordinator

Gavin, you are right on the ball about the light images on dark backgrounds as most problematic for noticing rainbows. Movie credits will also be a good way to see them if you are developing rbe sensitivity. Statistics show that less than 10% of dlp user notice rainbows or are bothered by them.